By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does it take for a Company to leave the console business?

Losing money that is all they need.

Around the Network

Konnichwaa is a girl??!?!?!?!?!

OMFG!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mM

I didn't know girls could navigate the intertubes. jk.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy

leo-j said:

OMFG!!!!!!

Since I put that sentence in my sig I already got two friend requests XD.

haha thats pretty funny, everyone loves a chick who plays games

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy

Around the Network

Although I don't believe that either Sony or Microsoft will be put in a position where they will leave the market this generation, all that is required is for them to lose more money and have management switch focus to eliminate these product lines. These are very large companies (where their core business is not videogames) and if they decide that they want to increase the profit per share they might cut out unprofitable divisions.

konnichiwa said:
leo-j said:

OMFG!!!!!!

Since I put that sentence in my sig I already got two friend requests XD.

Its a trap, or a social experiment

I also agree that this was Nintendos last shot, although they were making a tidy profit in the GC gen. Bigger companies, like Sony and Microsoft will leave when they stop making money or when its too expensive to fund consoles for their alterior motives.

Personally, I see Sony as more likely to leave at this point than MS. They've had recent personel shakeups to try and reform the company and start making profits in other divisions. The gaming division, a once dependable cash cow is now a liability and a source of bad PR (especially for stockholders). I do think that they'll try one last shot if the PS3 bombs (relative to former successes), but it will be an attempt at a reinvention of the brand - to a degree this is already happening with the new managment at SCE.

MS has plenty of other reasons for giving gaming a shot, and some seem to be paying off nice dividens (movies/tv marketplace for one). Shareholders may not like the division losing soo much money, but with the profit from Word and OSes its not nearly as bad. MS is already doing far better this gen than last, and they aren't one to give up after two failed attempts. For all the companies faults, they are tenacious and determined to finish something once they start it and wont be satisfied until the Xbox brand has accomplished their goals.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

You can call it a social experiment.
I tried that one before on gametrailers it is really scary what kind of PM's I got over there. I am going to change it..

leo-j said:
If the 360 doesnt end up selling more than 30 million than micro$0fr will leave.

If the ps3 doesnt manage to sell 20 million then Sony will leave(I expect 100 million)

If the wii doesnt sell 30 million then nintendo will leave(I expect 50 million)

Are you kidding me? If the Wii just sold 20 million Nintendo would still stay because they would make Billions of this gen. Hell they already made billions this Gen.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said:
leo-j said:
If the 360 doesnt end up selling more than 30 million than micro$0fr will leave.

If the ps3 doesnt manage to sell 20 million then Sony will leave(I expect 100 million)

If the wii doesnt sell 30 million then nintendo will leave(I expect 50 million)

Are you kidding me? If the Wii just sold 20 million Nintendo would still stay because they would make Billions of this gen. Hell they already made billions this Gen.

And to think he expects the PS3 to sell double the Wii...