By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Turned a non-gamer into a core gamer

So, about a year ago, I bought my mom a Wii for Wii Fit, which she plays normally. I tried to get my dad into Wii sports, but he wasn't interested and didn't really bother with the Wii.

I observed that he always watches WW2 movies, and has quite a collection of them. So I decided to see if he would like WW2 based games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. I bought him COD 3 for Father's Day, and he started playing and learning it. Naturally, he had a hard time at first because he's not a gamer at all, hasn't been since the Atari 2600.

I just talked to him on the phone earlier. He was telling me about one of the missions that he's been having trouble with (well into the game already). He said he's been gaming EVERY day. That was golden to me I turned a 66 yr old man into a core gamer.

Makes you wonder how many older generation WW2 enthusiasts are out there waiting to be introduced to games like COD and MoH.

Around the Network

That's awesome..when the times right through the Prime 3 on his ass. He won't know what hit em lol.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

That's awesome..when the times right throw that Prime 3 on his ass. He won't know what hit em lol.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I thought the wii just went in the closet with monopoly after a while?

My mom's been a core gamer since Super Mario World. Take that!

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Around the Network

@OP
Thank you for this anectdote. I only confirms that interest in a genre transcends individual hobbies.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

You bought COD 3 for fathers day? Do you really hate him that much?

^lol

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

BoleroOfFire said:
My mom's been a core gamer since Super Mario World. Take that!

Please. My mom's been whoopin ass since the Atari 2600 with Pac-man and centipede. She's responsible for me becoming a "core gamer" and nearly a HS drop out because of it.

Kind of throws away the idea of casual gamers not picking up any games.