By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So what physical medium will Microsoft be using for their next gen console?

I doubt a USB stick, if only because I'd expect a more proprietary interface for the same thing. If/when consoles do move to solid state storage, I imagine they'll be in custom-built enclosures, like the DS cards are (anyone know what the DS cards are actually based off of?).

As it is, I'd expect the to go with a BD drive, just to be conservative. Though if solid state storage ever does take over for consoles, it'll be a little ironic, as those will probably resemble cartridges to some degree, and be referred to as such. :)

Around the Network

Everyone forgets the Holo Disc (holographic versatile disc) I remember hearing rumours that this gen was going to use it. A disc that can carry theoretically up to 6 Terabytes. Such a disc would be able to stay mainstream for up to a decade or two without seeing any real need to upgrade.

Now of course the Holo Disk might not be the most real scenario. I think HD-DVD is a very good possibility for both Nintendo and Microsoft. Of course Blu-Ray is an option too.

In the end nobody knows or has any clue as to what format Microsoft will use. Maybe they will use their own modified disc. In the end I think Sony will go Digital Distribution to increase profits on software. While Microsoft and Nintendo will use HD-DVD's and increase of DLC!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

HD DVD is dead.

even toshiba went bluray.

why to use dead tech? maybe cheaper but u would not be able to watch movies.

Xoj said:
HD DVD is dead.

even toshiba went bluray.

why to use dead tech? maybe cheaper but u would not be able to watch movies.

My thought is exactly. Nobody is going to use a medium that has been discontinued.

Probably Blu-Ray and Digital Distribution

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

I really don't think the publishers' will be all too impressed if they elected a dearer SS flash option. Sure the console will be cheaper for MS to produce and the technical speed benefits are there - I'd be too worried about telling the publishers that all of a sudden instead of paying 0.02c per optical disc you now have to pay ~$5 per game. Good luck with that one.

twesterm said:
Sardauk said:
sguy78 said:
Sardauk said:

Digital distribution, with prepaid cards available at retailers.

Physical medium.

Paper then

Now that I'm thinking of it, it makes even more sens to have alonger lifecycle for the current gen... otherwise they would be forced to take the Blu-Ray.

Why do people think MS using BluRay is such an inconceivable thing?  Just because the PS3 using it doesn't mean it's a Sony only thing or some admission of supreme defeat using it.

If it's the next format, it's the next format.  If HDDVD had won, Sony would probably use that in their next console assuming it was still around when their next console was released.

I still can't understand why so many people think along those lines.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
twesterm said:
Sardauk said:
sguy78 said:
Sardauk said:

Digital distribution, with prepaid cards available at retailers.

Physical medium.

Paper then

Now that I'm thinking of it, it makes even more sens to have alonger lifecycle for the current gen... otherwise they would be forced to take the Blu-Ray.

Why do people think MS using BluRay is such an inconceivable thing?  Just because the PS3 using it doesn't mean it's a Sony only thing or some admission of supreme defeat using it.

If it's the next format, it's the next format.  If HDDVD had won, Sony would probably use that in their next console assuming it was still around when their next console was released.

I still can't understand why so many people think along those lines.

It is not about using BR or not. It is about selling direclty to the customer via DD.

Nowadays, only videos and cutscenes justify the BR and MS already showed that they can stream that kind of content via silverlight.

I'm less sure about the necessity of physical media for VG.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

matt247 said:
HD-DVDs

That would be awesome.

That might actually be an effective way to limit piracy...

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Adobo said:
Gigantic HD for DDs

Well that is a given, but they will not abandon physical media entirely so soon, because even 2-4 years from now a large percentage of their potential consumers will not have broadband internet.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick