By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So what physical medium will Microsoft be using for their next gen console?

Xoj said:
HD DVD is dead.

even toshiba went bluray.

why to use dead tech? maybe cheaper but u would not be able to watch movies.

You can watch DVDs on HD-DVD players, and DVDs are definitely NOT dead.

Beyond that there is DD, which will be around long after BluRay is dead.  And it has the added benefit of Microsoft making money off purchases from the XBL Marketplace.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

They will have no option but to go to Bluray. They cant stick with the basic dvd forever.

I highly doubt Microsoft will be using standard DVD's in two or three years time.

I think they will include a DVD drive for backwards compatibility, maybe even a BluRay drive to allow the system to be an entertainment hub.
However I think the next generation of software will release on digital distribution PLUS cartridge/memory stick media.

My reason for this is two fold. Firstly, cartridges allow for the release of a cheaper console with, no mass storage device, just flash based memory for saves and firmware only, the game can run off the cart directly. They may even go for an Arcade model that has no optical drive to reduce costs further and backwards compatibility will only be offered in the Pro/Elite. Perhaps an Elite would have BluRay.

Secondly it means that they won't limit their markets to countries/customers with massive internet connections that can download 10-50GB games on a regular basis.

Proprietory optical media wouldn't be a terrible idea, even HDDVD, but I think new gen games are going to need more than just massive data storage, the quick access of ROM or HDD will be much more important.

I certainly hope that's the case anyway. Whoever goes down this route will be far more likely to get my money. I certainly expect Nintendo to return back to carts for their next generation. It will most likely be more cost effective for them as they won't demand as much storage space for the games as the PS4/720.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

I think a lot will depend on the timing of the release of the next Xbox console, as the price of available technology at the time will be an important thing to consider.

Around the Network

I'm tired of optical drives. Flash Card that installs then is recycled

Repent or be destroyed

I would say some HD either blu ray or hd dvd. Or as many others mentioned, digital distribution is a possibility also.

I just don't see digital download being that important for a number of years still.

well, every Playstation has been based on a different medium, so I'd assume the Ps4 would also have a different medium... this makes me think that MS will use that medium as well. If MS used blu-ray next gen then they would be behind Sony again...

Enjoy

Multiple DVDs that install onto the HDD, just like PC games.

I think next gen games might need faster data access then what Bluray can provide.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire