By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So what physical medium will Microsoft be using for their next gen console?

Gigantic HD for DDs

Around the Network
Sardauk said:
sguy78 said:
Sardauk said:

Digital distribution, with prepaid cards available at retailers.

Physical medium.

Paper then

Now that I'm thinking of it, it makes even more sens to have alonger lifecycle for the current gen... otherwise they would be forced to take the Blu-Ray.

Why do people think MS using BluRay is such an inconceivable thing?  Just because the PS3 using it doesn't mean it's a Sony only thing or some admission of supreme defeat using it.

If it's the next format, it's the next format.  If HDDVD had won, Sony would probably use that in their next console assuming it was still around when their next console was released.

Natal camera codes

Repent or be destroyed

twesterm said:
Sardauk said:
sguy78 said:
Sardauk said:

Physical medium.

Paper then

Now that I'm thinking of it, it makes even more sens to have alonger lifecycle for the current gen... otherwise they would be forced to take the Blu-Ray.

Why do people think MS using BluRay is such an inconceivable thing?  Just because the PS3 using it doesn't mean it's a Sony only thing or some admission of supreme defeat using it.

If it's the next format, it's the next format.  If HDDVD had won, Sony would probably use that in their next console assuming it was still around when their next console was released.

I don't think they will not use Blu Ray simply because Sony won out with that format war with HD-DVD. Microsoft didn't exactly wholeheartedly support it anyway with the add on. I just would love to see them use holographic storage mediums. Everything I hear is great. I just wonder whether it is coming along fast enough.

I am under the assumption that Microsoft will do one of the following options, all physical media:

1) Fund the research prepping 42 GB DVDs and use that medium.
2) Fund the research prepping 500 GB BR-discs and use that medium.
3) Dual disc drive (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) for games and movies respectively.

I have stong opinions. Slanted they may be. Uninformed they are not

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Sardauk said:
sguy78 said:
Sardauk said:

Physical medium.

Paper then

indeed blu ray diodes are going to be cheaper, and faster. blu have gotten over 200gb already and disc that even ps3 can read.

People forget HD-DVD'S, and more ram, a good graphics card. Next gen Microsoft will have no RROD and make a profit.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Most likely MS will us Blu-Ray Discs. HD-DVD would remain a possibility but then they'd be up the ability to play HD movies to the PS4. While technically they could have HD Movies made for HD-DVD again, they'd run into the same problem Sony did with UMDs on the PSP.

NES carts!

Darc Requiem said:
Most likely MS will us Blu-Ray Discs. HD-DVD would remain a possibility but then they'd be up the ability to play HD movies to the PS4. While technically they could have HD Movies made for HD-DVD again, they'd run into the same problem Sony did with UMDs on the PSP.

The studios pulled support for HD-DVD. They will not put resources into it anymore.