By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - High Voltage soon to show off the 'true potential' of the Wii

It's just a marketing strategy from HVS.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
After playing The Conduit for about 30 minutes I don't even find the graphics so special. SMG for example still looks way better. They didn't push anything with that game.

i agree, the conduit is not better looking than SMG or even metroid prime 3, the engine is good but they lack art design, they could have at least used less corridors, i have not seen that many corridors since the 90's, lets hope they improve the art design in their next game

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Sure, it's marketing, that's quite obvious. But it works!

Also, I think people are confusing the art style and presentation of the conduit with the actual technical achievements of their engine. Also, keep in mind that Nintendo spent an ungodly amount of time developing their game engine for Galaxy. They started with the base engine from Sunshine and then improved it for the Wii. They put millions of dollars of programming into that engine, so it's difficult to compare that to a relatively small developer.

Hardware is only a means to enjoy great games!

PR talk... and TC didnt look amazing, tough the engine shows tons of potential. IMO Grinder is the one to look out for, at least the story looks to be miles ahead of the one found in The Conduit...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

they can afford it because they are being funded by a really rich nintendo fanboy

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

why HVS is making games for wii? they should spend their energy on some other platform and try their luck. they r going to go belly up if they keep making games for the wii, bcos after humungous effort, nobody will buy the games.

interesting. although i do believe that there is a game in develo[pment for the wii that hasnt been annoumced yet, i doubt it will be anything special.

moondeep said:
Sure, it's marketing, that's quite obvious. But it works!

Also, I think people are confusing the art style and presentation of the conduit with the actual technical achievements of their engine. Also, keep in mind that Nintendo spent an ungodly amount of time developing their game engine for Galaxy. They started with the base engine from Sunshine and then improved it for the Wii. They put millions of dollars of programming into that engine, so it's difficult to compare that to a relatively small developer.

Well said. I'm very impressed with the visual effects that The Conduit has displayed: bump, gloss and diffuse mapping, 4 texture layers, advanced particle effects, real-time reflection and refraction (check out the alien weapons and the scopes on the human weapons for example), HDR lighting effects and focus blur. These aren't the sort of effects you'd associate with the Wii hardware, you'd normally associate all of those effects with the PS360 consoles.

The art style may be crap but the quantum3 engine is a technical masterpiece, and looking at Gladiator AD and The Grinder it's come along in leaps and bounds with their imposter instancing technique allowing hundreds or even thousands of models without a significant drop in framerate.

Realistically I'm hoping for another FPS...unrealistically I'd like to see them do a Dead Rising clone with hundreds of zombies and a working camera. It's possible to do from what I've read on the Quantum3 engine, might even have more zombies than the 360 original but Capcom would have a fit lol.

I don't think the Wii is as underpowered as some would like everyone to believe.

dontsee said:
why HVS is making games for wii? they should spend their energy on some other platform and try their luck. they r going to go belly up if they keep making games for the wii, bcos after humungous effort, nobody will buy the games.

Oh yeah man, totally. Those insane Wii developement costs are seriously driving everybody under. Thank god we have HD moneymakers to keep great companies like Free Radical and Factor 5 around. Oh wait! Scratch that.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256