By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40Gig all that bad?

elendar said:
leo-j said:
Ratchet is a system seller. It sold millions of copies.

Uncharted looks impressive, but we will see. I expect 80k for ps3 sales.

Where? Just in Europe?

bad job of being sarcastic...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
El Duderino said:
fkusumot said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
Yeah very true, but I have a feeling that by the time the console drops, there should be a few (hoping on major) hits for the system. Uncharted and Ratchet are supposed to arive around that time no?

Uncharted and Ratchet are going to be system sellers? Hits?

I´m starting to really hate that term (not you your cool) every games ads to a system and the library sells the system, sure ther are those games that single handedly sell systems, but would the 360 be doing ok with onyl Halo 3 and PGR ??? Would the Wii beat everything seen with ony Mario and Zelda ??? I think not, what matters is that games like Uncharted and Rachet ad a fariety to the PS3 and could put many poeple over the edge. Will people buy it ony for Ratchet... maybe not, but people wlking into a store seeing Motorstorm, Resistance, Ratchet, Warhawk and Uncharted see that is has somthing good in many areas, Ithink that counts for more than one big game that some like and others hate.

I totally agree with you. I like your style, Dude. There's very few titles that move units all by themselves. Each system may get 3 or 4 in it's lifetime, usually less. Titles that are big hits but sell mostly to the people that already have a system are just fine. Adding quality variety to the library is always good.

^^ Thanx, alwasy nice to get approval, your stile is great as well.

W29 said:
So since it released today or tomorrow we should have UK numbers next Tuesday to find out if the PS3 in UK increased any.
It will increase a bit, but not as much as a full week would show.  That's only what? 3 days of sales at most?

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

I think it's only getting released next week in most (or all) European countries.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
jjseth said:
W29 said:
So since it released today or tomorrow we should have UK numbers next Tuesday to find out if the PS3 in UK increased any.
It will increase a bit, but not as much as a full week would show.  That's only what? 3 days of sales at most?

We are going to have to wait till October 16 to get the full sales when ioi releases the data. So  meanwhile you are right thats like 3 or 4 days for the PS3 40GB to sell.

it seems to me people now have a choice on what they'd like to buy. if ps2 functionality is unimportant, a ps3 can be theirs for under 400euros. it is safe to assume they will probably buy at least one game as they are buying a ps3, you can then assume when they will be paying 460euros. they are now a whopping 40 EUROS from the price of the starter pack. so either way you are paying less money than before.

so for 460 euros you get a basic ps3 + one game.
or for 500 euros you get a premium ps3 + 2 games + 2 controllers. (starter pack)

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

I think the 40G system is a good idea as it is spec'ed. If they get it a little cheaper that is the model I would buy.

The concern I have is the total confusion about the Sony marketing message. What products are still in production? What does the 60G model come with on my continent? Does it have BC and if so level 1 or 2 and what is the difference? Are the products available in region X coming to my region? Are there more new products coming?

The casual consumer is probably not confused because they do not follow these development very closely. They show up at a shop, see what is on the shelf, and buy what looks good at the time. For those that the 40G model beings the PS3 in under their personal casual purchase threshold it will sway them to buy. The problem is I think this model is still out of the casual purchase price range for most people.

The informed consumer usually does more research up front and a simple google is going to confuse the hell out of them. One of three things will happen:

- They will spend some time trying to sort it out and give up because it is too confusing, delaying any purchase until this is made simpler by price entering their casual purchase range or a clearer message is presented.

- They will figure it out and be too concerned about the uncertainty of what comes next to make a purchase now so will wait.

- They will figure it out and understand the trade offs they are making and chose the model that fits their needs and provides them enough value to justify the cost.

I think the question of how effective this move will be comes down to how many people fall into the third category.

ameratsu said:
it seems to me people now have a choice on what they'd like to buy. if ps2 functionality is unimportant, a ps3 can be theirs for under 400euros. it is safe to assume they will probably buy at least one game as they are buying a ps3, you can then assume when they will be paying 460euros. they are now a whopping 40 EUROS from the price of the starter pack. so either way you are paying less money than before.

so for 460 euros you get a basic ps3 + one game.
or for 500 euros you get a premium ps3 + 2 games + 2 controllers. (starter pack)

I can't really understand why you wouldn't just buy the starter pack for 40 Euro extra, unless you really hated Resistance and Motorstorm. So, 40gb sales are probably gonna be pretty modest, just like the 80gb sales in the states. Once those Starter packs run out, though, 40gb sales should do well, but they might need to bundle a game or extra controller with the system so that it appears as good a deal as the Starter pack.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Speaking of casual consumers, what happens if somebody buys a PS3 thinking it's PS2 compatible? Unless it's written all over the box, this scenario is going to happen on a regular basis, since the PS3 has already been advertised as being BC. That's a very awkward position to put the consumer in. The more I think about it, the worse it sounds. It's just not worth pissing off consumers just to save a couple bucks.

When is the last time a console manufacturer has removed a major feature mid-cycle? I'm trying to think but I'm coming up blanks. Usually it's the other way around, adding features.