By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40Gig all that bad?

FishyJoe said:

Speaking of casual consumers, what happens if somebody buys a PS3 thinking it's PS2 compatible? Unless it's written all over the box, this scenario is going to happen on a regular basis, since the PS3 has already been advertised as being BC. That's a very awkward position to put the consumer in. The more I think about it, the worse it sounds. It's just not worth pissing off consumers just to save a couple bucks.

When is the last time a console manufacturer has removed a major feature mid-cycle? I'm trying to think but I'm coming up blanks. Usually it's the other way around, adding features.

That's probably one of the things we'll see in the news when this launches, people returning consoles and stuff like that. Unless Sony really makes it clear, in which case kudos to them. They made it clear in their press release, which is a first step. I'm not so sure most consumers will know it though.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
I have a feeling it will spread like wild fire in europe lol. Its a damn cheap blu-ray player and it will in fact play playstation 3 and PSN games. It's definately a next gen cosole still :D

I second this. specially the blu-ray part.

i personally convinced a friend to get a 40 version, just cuz of the blue ray

I think the "hardcore" players may be turned off, but I can see many casuals picking it up. However, I expect those same casuals to be clueless about what was left out, and many PO'd when they discover it is not backwards compatable in the least.

^Yeah and expect alot of exchanges or trade-ins and used PS3 on the store shelves next year.