By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anyone ever try one of the "get a free gift" offers for a game console?

And it was only supposed to take 2 weeks of verification...after 3.5 weeks, I emailed them, making sure it was still in the works...I was obviously skeptical.

They apologized and said it was getting worked out soon, and they gave me free Gamefly service through December '07. So I've been renting games since July for free, haha!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
twesterm said:
I'm always a little cautious with these things though mainly because I'm not always that organized and opening up multiple credit cards isn't always the best idea. Personally, it would probably be a lot easier to do the referral thing and trick people into referring you.

super awesome jubbly video

Just make the above your sig and make an account on every forum you can think of and just start posting like you're a normal member. You'll get your clicks (though I've never done this but people click interesting looking links without seeing where they're going).

Yeah, I don't necessarily like opening a bunch of credit card, either, but I only carry an Amex and my Debit card as a "Mastercard" backup.  I added a discover and a "real" mastercard.  I've got a 780 credit rating, have paid off both my cars and only have a house note which I owe a little less than half of on a $200K home.  I won't use the credit cards beyond what they gave me as an incentive to start up.  I'll take the incentives then shut 'em down, lol.  With my Discover they gave me $10 on my first charge.  On the mastercard, I got 5% off gas for 90 days.  After 90 days, I'll destroy the card and close the account.  I'm a cheap ass, lol.  If they are stupid enough to give me free money for doing something I already do, I'll take it and cancel your card when I receive my stuff.  I won't be hanging around long enough to incur any finance charges whatsoever.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

BenKenobi88 said:
Gamefly does these offers from time to time...there's usually an offer for a DS Lite or Wii going on at any given time.

It's how I got a Wii for $40.

Yes that's right. You just get 5 friends to sign up for Gamefly for a month through your referral link, and you get a free Wii, that's it. So obviously, a few of my friends didn't really want the service, so I paid them, thus costing me about $40.

I got my friends to sign up in June, and after having the service for a month, and after waiting a couple weeks for verification, Gamefly shipped my free Wii, brand new in box with Sports and all, the first week of August.

A great deal I must say...and it's much more trustworthy than the getafreeWii type places.

Wow, that's actually a really nice deal.  If they ever did anything like that for the PS3 and even like 10 referrals I would probably give that a go since subscriptions are what, $9?

Also, sorry for comment spamming, but this is also an important note.

Go to brightspot.tv

You watch advertisements, typically 30 sec to a couple minutes long, and you get paid .25-.40 per ad. It goes towards Gamefly, Napster, or a couple other services if I remember correctly.

So for June, I just watched the maximum amount of ads in a month (You can earn $10 credit per month) and Gamefly was pretty much free.

Now I just put that money into Napster for easy-to-download music cause I'm bored and have like $30 of ad-watching reserved for when I have to pay for Gamefly again hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Also, sorry for comment spamming, but this is also an important note.

Go to brightspot.tv

You watch advertisements, typically 30 sec to a couple minutes long, and you get paid .25-.40 per ad. It goes towards Gamefly, Napster, or a couple other services if I remember correctly.

So for June, I just watched the maximum amount of ads in a month (You can earn $10 credit per month) and Gamefly was pretty much free.

Now I just put that money into Napster for easy-to-download music cause I'm bored and have like $30 of ad-watching reserved for when I have to pay for Gamefly again hehe.

How big is the add and does it have to be on top?  Is it something that can just sit in the corner?  Can you use the credit towards iTunes?

Around the Network

I don't know if iTunes is an option...probably not.

The ad is Youtube sized. You have to answer a couple questions after each ad...they're lame and you can answer any of the multiple choice you want, it doesn't matter. It does affect what kind of ads you receive though...say you enjoyed a sports ad, you'll see more sports ads.

You can mute them though, so who cares.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

It seems easier just to buy the damn thing...

aye, I can vouch that some of these deals are legit. I don't know which ones my brother used but over the course of a year he got a free slim ps2, a new tv and a ds. I don't know which service he used (but this was when the ds had first come out), but it did require a lot of work and hassle on his part.

Keep us updated though kn, I might just have to try it if it works for you.

scotland yard said:
It seems easier just to buy the damn thing...

Thanks so much for the insight. I actually hadn't thought about just going down to the store to buy one. Silly me. That isn't the point here. It's getting something for (almost) nothing.

Based on my liquid assets (cash, stocks, funds, etc.), I can buy approximately 1800 40 gig PS3s. It isn't the money. I'm just a cheap bastard and thought I'd give it a try.  And before you say "Damn, you got that much coin and you are trying to get a free one?!?!?"  Keep in mind that to get that much coin accumulated, all in one place, requires that you don't impulse buy non-necessary goods/services.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Very cool on the referrals thing. If anyone has a link to one please send me a link in a message. I hope you get your Ps3 kn, sounds like you put alot of time into it. I wouldn't mind trying one of those since I am a soon to be college graduate. Keep up with the updates. Nice thread.