By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OFFICIAL: 40Gb Announced!!!

I don't need to speak in the hypothetical:
I'm hoping to buy a PS3 in the near future. I don't own a PS2. When I buy a PS3, I'd like to play all the big PS2 games I have missed out on (GoW, GoW 2, etc.). So this new PS3 is just not an option for people like me.

Of course I already have to wait until Spring 2008, because that's when the new controllers with rumble come out... And it's 50/50 whether Sony does something else that's totally retarded by next spring to once again lose out on the cash I want to pay them.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

The other reason this is a stupid move:

There are 100+ million people out there who own a PS2 and have PS2 games. Lack of backwards compatibility is one more reason for them to choose the 360 or Wii over the PS3.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Backwards compatibility is a major feature for some buyers. Heck, I own more GC games than Wii games, and I never owned a GC. Dropping BC may have helped them drop the price, but it's also dropped the value of that SKU.

Perhaps Joe Blow might not care about BC, and gleefully buy a cheaper PS3 without it, but I can also see Joe Blow assuming that his cheap PS3 can play PS2 games. After all, PS3 had great BC at release, right? When he picks up a couple PS2 classics and finds they won't work in his $400 PS3, Joe Blow might be righteously cheesed off.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

jjseth said:
gamingdevil said:
jjseth said:
Peter Potamus said:
I have a question, do any of you think that the general consumer who has a PS2 would care if the 40gb PS3 has BC?

Short answer. No. Go and make it your mission to go and ask someone you know that isn't a big hardcore gamer and has a PS2 if they care if they wouldn't be able to play their PS2 games on a PS3 if they bought it. Some of you may be a bit surprised by the answers.

There are people who want to play PS2 games in HD because PS2 looks like crap in HDTV i've said it a trillion times.

The PS2 always looked fine to me on my HDTV and it didn't stop me from playing it or watching it for more then 3 years. I honestly didn't see much of a difference by playing Socom 2 on my PS3 compared to the PS2.

Gamingdevil, this challenge goes to you as well. Find a friend who is not a hardcore or avide gamer that has a PS2 and ask him/her if it's important to him/her for the PS3 to play those old games. See what they say and don't interrupt them and try to influence them before they give their answer.

What is a harcore or avid gamer? You originally made your choice of PS3 model because you wanted the EE chip, right? Are you an avid gamer?

sinha said:

There are 100+ million people out there who own a PS2 and have PS2 games. Lack of backwards compatibility is one more reason for them to choose the 360 or Wii over the PS3.

So why would they need BC? The only reason people complain about this is because having BC is convenient and they won't have so many consoles in their living room.

I'll take the case!!!

Around the Network
sinha said:

care to explain cause what your claiming doesnt make sense. if they bought a wii or an xbox360 they still wouldnt be able to play their ps2 games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I'm not the norm, but I sure enough don't want that 40 GB, mainly because of BC.
If you can get BC for the same added price of a PS2 or less, then the PS3 60 GB packs are better. As the PS2 is 130 € in Europe, then even at 530 €, the 60 GB PS3 would be better.
That may not be true for those that still have a relatively new PS2.

As that's the only PS3 version we'll get once the 60 GB are sold out, I'm basically forced to buy a PS3 sooner than I thought, just because of BC.

iclim4 said:
sinha said:

care to explain cause what your claiming doesnt make sense. if they bought a wii or an xbox360 they still wouldnt be able to play their ps2 games.

That's exactly my point!  The PS3 is at the same level as the 360 and Wii: unable to play their PS2 games.

With backwards compatibility, the PS3 has the advantage of being the natural new console choice for PS2 owners.

Without backwards compatibility, the PS3 is still way more expensive than the Wii, and doesn't have as many games as the 360.

Posted this in the other thread as well...

BTW, here is a quote from Phil Harrison from 12 months ago:

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3."

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

A PS3 for $250 I would consider buying. If some good games were released for it first.