By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has Sony Started Advertising The Right Way? [in Europe]

SCEE seems to have increased its advertising efforts lately, as new PlayStation commercials aired on TV a couple of weeks ago in the UK. Unlike the old strategy of advertising a few times on the lesser viewed Freeview channels, these new advertisements are airing at a variety of times on a variety of channels, including the standard terrestrial channels.

The games that are being advertised at the moment are Transformers 2 from Activision, and the latest Harry Potter game. Both commercials start with the words "PLAYSTATION" and end by showing the PlayStation formats the game is appearing on only.

Part of the Harry Potter commercial can be seen here. The Transformers 2 commercial is the same format, except it only mentions the PS3 version of the game.

Microsoft has been using this strategy for a long time, but for hardcore titles such as GTA4. Nice to see that Sony is trying to fight back now.

In addition to these adverts, Sony Europe has also begun advertising the Ghostbusters videogame through VidZone as "Exclusive to PlayStation 3", interesting choice of words from Sony.

http://www.ps3center.net//news/3375/sony-start-advertising-the-right-way/

Around the Network

I have seen LOADS of PS3 adverts in the UK on TV over the last few weeks, on Channel 4, Sky 1, E4 mainly, it's very good they are advertising but they are only advertising crappy games and multiplatform games, they should be advertising some of the ps3's best games in my view,

I mean come on, Harry Potter which looks very average and Transformers?, both are on the 360 too so why don't they re-advertise things like LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2 and MGS4?

So yeah, good to see them advertising but very bad at the games they are advertising, whoever is in charge should be fired lol.

nice nice. where i live i see a lot of ads for games from sony now (well not right now, but around infamous' release)

sony copies ms again?

It's too bad. No xbox commercials were ever memorable.

Here in Aus i have seen loads of ads for HP6, Transformers 2 game and Infamous on multiple channels and at the cinema (HP6 game was advertised right before the HP6 Film) with the PlayStation Ribbon at the end.

Do they use the ribbon in the UK?

Around the Network
legend92(3) said:
Here in Aus i have seen loads of ads for HP6, Transformers 2 game and Infamous on multiple channels and at the cinema (HP6 game was advertised right before the HP6 Film) with the PlayStation Ribbon at the end.

Ribbon? what kind of ribbon?!

Yes, Sony have finally started advertising.

They look to be making a big push for this Christmas, my bet is to get more awareness of PS3 before a Slimline/Pricecut is announced... and of course Gran Turismo 5.

FKNetwork said:
legend92(3) said:

Ribbon? what kind of ribbon?!

I cant find anything on the net to show you so i'll try and explain. After showing the advert A ribbon (red for PS3 and multi coloured for all 3 platforms) swishes onto the screen smacks into the PS3 or PSP and then goes around it while a voice over says on PS3 etc.

Well i have this from an email it shows wat the ribbon looks like. Link

I know what ribbon you're talking about

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

PSN ID: Ferrari_1996

This is not true, all I see is an ad of Harry potter that doesn't start with playstation and it has a small line over the ad which says graphics don't look the same on different consoles.
I've also never seen a playstation 3 ad here unless you count virtua tennis, but again it was an ad for xbox360 and ps3. The wii version had a different ad from virtua tennis because of wii motion + And aren't the publishers making this ad and not Sony? Why does everyone think Sony is the one advertising? Unless they are the publishers(I don't know who publishes those crap games so yeah)