By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Activision are idiots? PS2/PS3 accounts for 40% of all gaming revenue

From what I see ...

The PS2 and PS3 account for 17% of Activision-Blizzard's total revenue in 2008, by the end of 2010 the PS2 portion of that revenue will fall to (essentially) 0%, which means that for Sony's consoles to retain their current share of Activision Blizzard's total revenue the PS3 will have to double its sales of Activision Blizzard software over the next 2 years. When you factor in development costs and how the PS2 sales would be mostly games that were released in previous years (and almost all revenue generated would be profit) the PS3 will have to more than double its current sales of Activision Blizzard software to maintain their share of total profit.

Now, how many people think that Sony will be able to sell enough hardware to boost Activision Blizzard's sales to over double its current level by the end of 2010 unless they reduce the price of the console immediately? With the exception of a few fanboys I don't expect anyone does ...

What this means is that Activision Blizzard's threat is actually fairly legitimate being that the development costs associated with porting XBox 360 games to the PS3 are probably higher than the costs associated with creating (lower budget) Wii games which could generate greater profits for Activision Blizzard; and the consequence of dropping Sony with how unimportant the PS2 is becomming, and the PS3 and PSP already are, is pretty minimal.

Around the Network

@RoI : you said you didn't care about my posts. I'll talk about Mario64 with someone else I guess.

Or did you change your mind ?

It's offtopic anyway.

i like how Xbox is just 1 .... jeez. activision is an ass.

Kotick is an idiot. Oh and they won't drop support unless they really want to hurt their company.

Seems all was takenc are of here. My only point was that PS3 was under-performing PS2 sales, and Activison only signaled out PS3/PSP development (of course, someday PS2 development has to end too)

Around the Network

@RoI : Well, I liked many things. The great diversity between levels, the races, the whole concept of stars, the colorful graphics, the boss battles... It oozed creativity and the gameplay was unmatched, like often with Nintendo games.

I liked the open world idea too, where you can really choose between tons of stars to try at any moment...

It trumped everything that was released on 360.

Only game for me that matches it is MGS4 on PS3, so I disagree with what you said.

Between MGS4 and Mario64 I don't know, maybe MGS4 is my favorite, but that's like apples and oranges. Only MY opinion.

Here is the math for the percentage of each console

PS3 8.7%
PS2 10.2%
360 13%
Wii 14.7%
Handhelds 3.6%
MMORPGS 41%
PC 3.6%

also consoles only account for 46.5 percent of revenue. I think this threat is empty based on revenue seeing how it is right in the same area as the other consoles. We do not know the profit break down so it is possible that it hurts them to support PS3. However do you think Sony will just let them support PS2 and not PS3? (Thats a question seriously I dont know). Also do Activision and Vivendi share profits because if not this would mean Leo-j is technically right.

mario64 said:

It's a 'bluff' to ask for a price cut. Kotick knows PS3 would sell a lot more at a lower price, so he just wants more millions for Actibliz.

Doh ? But that was clear for everybody from the very begining. Kotic wasen't even deniying it. He has been asking for price cut for several month (as some other publisher). Do you need analysts to "find out" that ?

Nobody here is believeing Acti will do it. People are just saying that 1) Activision is huge and Sony will badly suffer if that was really happening, 2) Kotic claims isen't as stupid as some might think, since Sony ACTUALLY need to cut the price or its market share will keep shrinking, ot a point where some might indeed start to seriously think about it.

RoI, create a new thread if you want, we'll debate about that, here it's offtopic.

If you want to make me say that gameplay is the most important thing, I'm clearly on your side.

Now there are games who have both great gameplay AND great tech, so I'm not a retro guy either.

I bought a PS3 not for the power of the cell, but because of great contents in term of gameplay for me...

/offtopic - build a thread