By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft predicts 177 million Windows 7 shipments by year end

well even if Windows 7 becomes the shite and is awesome, I don't see flocks of people upgrading OS.

I'd say most general users don't know any better, and will probably just stick to what they have now.

But being that computers are plenty fast now, combined with the fact that we're in a deep recession, most people are pretty much set with whatever they have.

The only real Windows 7 customers I see are

1) people who buy new PCs
2) computer enthusiasts who custom build the own PCs and the like
3) IT departments in big companies with deep pockets.

MS will be lucky if they get 50% of XP users to upgrade to Win7.

Until the economy gets better, I don't see Windows 7 really taking off the way XP did back in 2001 (when everyone had money ^_^)

Around the Network

I don't think I will upgrade either, Vista is working fine for me (better than XP did).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I wont be getting it

mM
That Guy said:
well even if Windows 7 becomes the shite and is awesome, I don't see flocks of people upgrading OS.

I'd say most general users don't know any better, and will probably just stick to what they have now.

But being that computers are plenty fast now, combined with the fact that we're in a deep recession, most people are pretty much set with whatever they have.

The only real Windows 7 customers I see are

1) people who buy new PCs
2) computer enthusiasts who custom build the own PCs and the like
3) IT departments in big companies with deep pockets.

MS will be lucky if they get 50% of XP users to upgrade to Win7.

Until the economy gets better, I don't see Windows 7 really taking off the way XP did back in 2001 (when everyone had money ^_^)

Actually XP take up was pretty slow- in 2003, less than 10% of corporate PCs were carrying XP. By 2005 it had only reached 38%. In contrast there's quite the buzz about 7, and even my company are looking to upgrade early next year. The licensing costs won't be any more expensive than sticking with XP, the roll out is pretty straight forward and new hardware across the board won't be needed.

BTW, as for everyone having money, 2001 saw the height of the dotcom crash (along with the attacks on the Twin Towers). Not as deep a general recession as now, but far from a boom time.

^^Yeah, I have read that the adoption rate is expected to be higher than XP.

Around the Network

I'll be bying it for sure when my beta access expires in June.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I'll keep XP Pro until I build my next PC (~2yrs). Then I'll buy a version that allows at least 2 installs so I can put it on my current main PC and my new build to take advantage of the newer networking features.

I'm having a hard time getting rid of XP, you know what they say if it's not broken don't fix it (or buy vista)

And isn't Microsoft going to support XP till 2013?

Apparently the stock at Ebuyer went on sale at midnight and all 350 copies were gone twenty minutes later. At Amazon, it's been in and out of stock all day- fortunately I managed to get a copy just a few minutes ago.

This is why Microsoft can outspend Sony.