By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft predicts 177 million Windows 7 shipments by year end

Veghte says Win7 is the first release of Windows for two decades where Microsoft has had to turn people who want to try it away. Bravely copying data to a USB stick using BitBlocker To Go, Veghte throws the stick into the audience.

Every Win 7 corporate customer will get a free license enabling them to run Windows XP legacy apps, adds Veghte. Migrating from Vista to Win7 will be extremely smooth, he claims.

"We wanted to make darn certain that we could logo certify over 16,000 partners working on Win7 apps. Within 72 hours of launching Win 7 Release Candidate, we had two certified graphics drivers," said Veghte who reckons MS will ship 177 million copies of the new OS by the end of 2009.

Some 246 million Vista PCs present a $320 billion upgrade opportunity for partners and 51 million business desktops are already licensed for Windows 7. From September 1, a limited time volume license discount of between 15-35 percent will also be available, together with a doubling of internal usage rights.

Veghte concluded by saying the public awareness of Windows 7 was currently running at 40%, with' no marketing spend'.

But the one fact missing from the presentation was the announcement of Windows 7 being released to manufacture. Still, Steve Ballmer's up soon...

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43208/140/

It should be release to the general public around October 22 2009, so two months and 177 milion copies shipped, damn

Microsoft is going to make a little bit of money

Around the Network

Whenever I make a big hardware upgrade I'll consider it depending on if they have any student deals. Otherwise, Vista Ultimate for a very cheap price might have to do.

^^agree with IIIegalPaladin

I agree. I will not get W7 until I get some upgraded hardware or a new computer altogether.

That's good new, hope Microsoft gets more money.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Meh. I always buy SP2 versions of software. I will be getting this, though - SP2, of course.

Can't wait for it to be released. I've been running the RC of it, it's a big improvement over Pissta.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

i'd say Windows is pretty much "wii sports" of the PC world. I'd say 70% or so of Windows 7 sales are probably bundles.

I'm perfectly fine with XP and Ubuntu for at least another year or two, but good to know that Win 7 might actually be good.

That Guy said:
i'd say Windows is pretty much "wii sports" of the PC world. I'd say 70% or so of Windows 7 sales are probably bundles.

70%? More like 80%, but hey, if you can do it, why don't you?