By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Halo so critically acclaimed and popular?

Frankly there isn't a more enjoyable FPS multiplayer experience. The game sold because people actually enjoy. Crazy concept, huh?

Around the Network

Because it's fun as hell?

And even though what you said about thefrat boys is true, it's still trolling. And you forgot the pre-teens as well.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I like to think of the Halo franchise as a Michael Bay film. No real substance, but you enjoy the ride it takes you. After that, you start to question your intelligence. No joke.

CatFangs806 said:
I like to think of the Halo franchise as a Michael Bay film. No real substance, but you enjoy the ride it takes you. After that, you start to question your intelligence. No joke.

Yeah, Halo is the equivalent of a shitty Michael Bay blockbuster action film.

forgace said:
CatFangs806 said:

who's alt are you? I think your main account will be a while..

Armaggedon was good, even though the acting sucked.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:
forgace said:
CatFangs806 said:

who's alt are you? I think your main account will be a while..

Armaggedon was good, even though the acting sucked.

Who knows. Just report and move on people. Don't feed the troll.

To Forgace:

Halo is popular because it is in fact one of the best shooters on the market, and it's very fun to play. I was incredibly addicted to Halo 3 for about half a year or so, and it was one of the few shooters I actually liked (others include Doom, Goldeneye, and Battlefront). It's a great game to play, especially with friends. Don't be such an elitist.

We're not trying to be elitists. Halo is a fun game TO A POINT. I just get tired of everyone still thinking of Halo as the best thing since sliced bread. Move on, people. Gears Of War and Call Of Duty are so much superior.

CatFangs806 said:
We're not trying to be elitists. Halo is a fun game TO A POINT. I just get tired of everyone still thinking of Halo as the best thing since sliced bread. Move on, people. Gears Of War and Call Of Duty are so much superior.

Who said I was talking about you? I was clearly addressing Forgace, who thinks that the frat boy audience is limited to Halo. And saying that other shooters are better is a matter of opinion. Gears of War 2 is a very fun game, but the online is shitty, Epic doesn't care all that much about their customers, and shooting is only a small part of being a pro. The Hammerburst rifle was banned in MLG because people couldn't get close enough to use their shotguns. Call of Duty is great, but then it comes down to opinion.

CatFangs806 said:

Not even close.

forgace said:

I don't understand the hype behind this series nor the praise. I don't understand why critics find so special about it. Halo is a painfully average shooter, has mediocre gameplay, undeserved marketing hype from the media, generic and is absolutely nothing special.

Halo is completely generic and unispired, all you do in the game is shoot this and that and the repetitive level design gets on your nerves. The story is filled with every sci-fi cliche in the book, the main character is unimaginitive and bland with no personality. The multiplayer in these games are decent but it's inferior to Battlefield , Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty 4, and Tribes. Hell, the game barely did anything new or innovative. Halo is crap compared to most PC shooters.

Halo doesn't deserve the 10's and 9's its gotten from "professional" reviewers as the game seems more like a 5 or a 6, if they were going to give Halo a positive score it oughta be a 7 or a 8 but not a 9 and 10. Haze was just as unispired and generic as Halo but it got lower review scores and not as beloved.

I think the reason its popular is because a lot of people and Halo fans haven't played any FPS before Halo. Considering most of its fanbase consists of frat boys and moronic college students.

They're even better console shooters than Halo on the N64 like Turok, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark. Halo belongs in the line of other average shooters like Resistance 1/2. Killzone 2, BioShock, Far Cry, and Crysis. Halo isn't a bad game but its not in the same league as Call of Duty, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Doom, No One Lives Forever, and most of all Half-Life. Halo is probably the most overrated game in existence and it's more overrated than GTAIV and Final Fantasy VII combined.

Whats so special about Halo?

See, with a little highlighting, we see your problem.

You're one of those "zomg fps suck on consoles except the n64!" people we see every day. Ho hum.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective