By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Halo so critically acclaimed and popular?

I have always felt at least plot wise that halo heavily borrowed from starcraft. Especially with its 3 main races (humans,covenant,flood compared to terran,protoss,zerg). Not to mention I think with the first game it was so big because xbox owners were treating their console like a pc lan party and halo was always the main attraction, ala the same starcraft was for the pc back in the day.

Around the Network

When I first saw Halo: CE I didn't see what the big deal was about it. That was until I picked up the controller. The replay value is unprecedented. It is just fun as all Hell.

The first Halo was truly epic.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I don't know about the first two halos, but I bought Halo 3 for the awesome multiplayer and forge. Many companies ignore the things I value most with console FPS games: Features

Halo 3 has many features that I value such as split screen, map editor, the way the multiplayer and lobbies work, the easiness of inviting people over XBL to games, playing Infection on the awesome helms deep map that I made. To me, features and content in a game is GOD! That's why I love Blizzard RTS games.

I LOVE ICELAND!

it enhanced the FPS forever.

Around the Network

it enhanced the FPS marketing forever.

Adobo said:
it enhanced the FPS forever.

It brought some cool stuff to the table, but nothing ground breaking.

It's the features and content (combined with marketing that direct the people who want a good FPS to the product) that make it do the job a good FPS is supposed to do.

I LOVE ICELAND!

In terms of FPS, counterstrike on PC completely destroyed Halo 3 in every way possible at that time.

Today, there are even more FPS completely destroying it in every way possible.

forgace - Whilst I agree with you on many of your points, perhaps this wasn't the best thread you could make as your introduction to the site.

Oh well, everyone else is chipping in their opinions so here is mine

Health regen is taking all the fun and challenge out of FPS for me, hence I blame Halo
I have yet to like a single FPS where the main character is wearing generic 'space marine' armour
It does feel a bit generic to me, mind you I'm only judging the multiplayer, I've never played singleplayer

Because the MP is goddamn funny!

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||