By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 = Dreamcast?

I guess this thread is ok according to mods. I would have compared PS3 to Saturn, would have been more successful at school.

Please Steve Ballmer, give those kids at least one AAA exclusive to play in 2009, they're making annoying / pathetic threads all day. Or is Live down again ?

Around the Network

uhh how many times has this been said

the PS3 = the PS3

Nothing compares to it, the PS3 had a very bad start and then started selling really good, as soon as we see a price cut or slim it'll be outselling the X360 and possible the Wii for some regions and will sell very well. No other console was like that.

NO! the DC ad LOTS of good games!!!!

The ps3 is...meeehhh!

No way, new account for this.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Math lesson of the day...

PS3 =/= Dreamcast... because Dreamcast > PS3

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

uhh how many times has this been said

the PS3 = the PS3

Nothing compares to it, the PS3 had a very bad start and then started selling really good, as soon as we see a price cut or slim it'll be outselling the X360 and possible the Wii for some regions and will sell very well. No other console was like that.

I am so tired of hearing stuff like this.  I'm not even saying that you're wrong, I just can't stand the assurance people speak with, because it's predicated on a few assumptions that are spurious at best.

First, it is taken for granted that there will be a price cut.  Probably there will be eventually, because without one they are dead in the water.  From a business standpoint though it makes no sense for a company that is losing money hand over fist to cut the price on a console that they are already losing money on at the current price point.  Furthermore, with the upcoming release of the absurdly overpriced PSP Go, a price cut on the PS3 is only going to highlight how ridiculous that price point is, thus potentially losing them even more money.

Secondly, people assume that a slim PS3, even without a price cut, is going to drive sales up.  I have absolutely no idea what this is based on, but people seem to firmly believe it anyway.

Thirdly, people assume that the only conceivable reason PS3 is in last place is because of price, and that as soon as the price drops it will open a floodgate of sales.  Now, you'd have to be an idiot to argue that a price cut isn't going to boost sales, but considering the amount Sony loses on a PS3 now, and accounting for the additional loss due to a price cut, not to mention their inferior (to 360) software sales, Microsoft could just as easily cut the price on the 360 yet again and steal a lot of their momentum.  I think it's time for some people (not even saying you in particular Gilgamesh, this just happened to be the post I noticed of this sort most recently) to consider that maybe the PS3's last-place sales are due to the fact that the 360 is the superior console.  If I owned neither, and they both were offered at an identical price, I would buy a 360 without hesitation over a PS3, and so would a large number of other people.

It's easy to talk about how a price cut is going to change the game immediately, but it completely ignores the competition, the economic feasability of a price cut, the price points of other Sony products, and a host of other fairly important issues.

All that said, you're right, the PS3 and the Dreamcast have essentially nothing in common besides the fact that both play video games.

ps3 is keeping up with a console half its price...only 30k behind each week or so

So no ps3 will never be like the dreamcast

Predictions

GT5 will sell 3.2million + first week on ps3 (made 06 March 2010)

FFXIII Versus will have higher Metacritic scores than FFXIII after the first month.... Bet going on with perpride - loser changes sig for a month

KH3 will be PS3 EXCLUSIVE - willing to bet removal from vgchartz for a month

@deadtom : Wall of text = MS / Nintendo fanboy crap.

@aher : nice summary. Last time I checked, the dreamcast didn't sell 21 million in less than 3 years. Or the 360 is another dreamcast too. And the Xbox 1 is an Atari Jaguar.

Wow..
No.
PS3 = PS3
Sony will have another console.

No, I don't think its anything like the Dreamcast....

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089