By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony still losing money on every PS3

I make pasta for dinner last night......=.=

Around the Network

Actually, in my education system, the last time we were taught grammar was primary school. Secondary school was nothing but textual analysis *yawn*

My gosh, you guys are making a mountain out of an anthill.

He said it plain and clear. The PS3 RIGHT now is losing money on each one sold. Therefore, a price drop cannot happen. Simple as that.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

ramuji said:

Reading that made me realize that the Reuters reporter could have achieved his/her same intent without confusion by writing something like this: "Asked about the logic of not cutting prices, Stringer said he would "lose money on every PlayStation I make", adding "how's that for logic".

No, your statement has the exact same problem because once again the word would is included, even if it's not inside the quotation marks this time. 

To state what should be obvious, the way to write the quote and avoid confusion would be to reproduce the exact quote, exactly as Stringer said it, without adding or changing any words.  Given that "would" is in parenthesis and was therefore added by the reporter, that would be "I lose money on every PlayStation I make -- how's that for logic."

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

dont journalist add things in to make things clearer or to get a better understanding of the meaning...like so?

Around the Network
axumblade said:
sinha said:
axumblade said:
If they're still losing money on the console, would he say that under the implication that they dropped the price, they'd lose money....The title of this thread makes no sense in relation to what's actually said in here. It's completely misleading.

Wrong, it makes perfect sense for Stringer to answer the question that way: The reporter asked him what the logic was for not cutting the price, and Stringer said the logic was that they are already losing money on each PS3 sold.  Obviously if they are losing money on each unit sold now, they would lose even more money if they dropped the price. Stringer doesn't need to say that because it's obvious, hence "how's that for logic."

where does the "(would)" come from then? Is that just a reporter error?

It's the reporter adding a word that s/he thinks will clarify what Stringer is saying, but doing so carelessly and actually making it far more confusing than it would have been if s/he had left it out entirely and just reproduced the quote exactly as Stringer said it.

Xxain said:
dont journalist add things in to make things clearer or to get a better understanding of the meaning...like so?

Correct, however in this case the reporter screwed up because adding the word changed the meaning of the exact quote.  We have two things here, Stringer's direct quote, and the reporter's interpretation, which changes the meaning of that quote. 

I'll go with Stringers exact words over some reporter's interpretation of what it means, considering one is the CEO of Sony and the other is a reporter for Reuters.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

but what if the reporter is right?

Those days of hardware headaches are a thing of the past says Microsoft exec Aaron Greenberg. "We've improved that [repair] process," he told game Edge.

What process? Nevermind the "repair". Is he saying that they've improved the process of past hardware headaches?

Not quite the same but still the same. Didnt have time to find a better one, need sleep.

axumblade said:
SaviorX said:
My gosh, you guys are making a mountain out of an anthill.

He said it plain and clear. The PS3 RIGHT now is losing money on each one sold. Therefore, a price drop cannot happen. Simple as that.

It sounded to me like the PS3 isn't making Sony lose money but they would if there was a price drop. For instance, if its $399 for the system and it costs them $375 to make then they make a small profit from each console. But if they did a $50 price drop like most people seem to be expecting, then they would be losing money on every PS3.

It's not a big deal either way in my opinion. It's just the article is easy to misinterpret.

The PS3 is still losing money. A price drop would just make things worse.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

sinha said:

It's the reporter adding a word that s/he thinks will clarify what Stringer is saying, but doing so carelessly and actually making it far more confusing than it would have been if s/he had left it out entirely and just reproduced the quote exactly as Stringer said it.

Xxain said:

Correct, however in this case the reporter screwed up because adding the word changed the meaning of the exact quote.  We have two things here, Stringer's direct quote, and the reporter's interpretation, which changes the meaning of that quote.  I'll go with Stringers exact words over some Reuter reporter's interpretation of what it means.

So you do agree that this is a common practice in journalism, yet conveniently, in this care, you will choose to say that the journalist made an error. 

How logic and unbiased of you.