By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony still losing money on every PS3

^ Bingo @ spartanFX

Around the Network
Xxain said:
^ Bingo @ spartanFX

Are you guys in junior high school?  What kind of grades are you folks getting in English class?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

But the word Would wouldnt be there if the way he said it didnt imply that it should be there.

Otherwise it would've been "I am losing" instead of "I lose".

Grasping at straws!

That could also mean that he Stringer actually said I will lose money on every PS3 sold and the correct grammar would obviously be "would" instead of will.

While Sony might still be losing money on every PS3 sold, the OP is reaching and assuming. If I was his English teacher in his Middle School I would give him a "F" in reading comprehension.

sinha said:
Xxain said:
^ Bingo @ spartanFX

Are you guys in junior high school?  What kind of grades are you folks getting in English class?

first of all stop being an asshole.

secong of all, one can be blind not to see the word Would there.It is in prentecies.So we don't know if he said it or implied it.I don't know,you don't know ,none of us here knows.

So arguing over something that we all don't know is pretty stupid and junior high ;)

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:
sinha said:
Xxain said:
^ Bingo @ spartanFX

first of all stop being an asshole.

secong of all, one can be blind not to see the word Would there.It is in prentecies.So we don't know if he said it or implied it.I don't know,you don't know ,none of us here knows.

When a journalist quotes a source, the source's exact words are in quotes. 

Any words added by the journalist are in parenthesis (or "prentecies" as you call them) and any words that are changed by the journalist are in brackets. 

Therefore we know exactly what Stringer said, he said "I lose money on every PlayStation I make -- how's that for logic."

The "(would)" was not said by Stringer, it was added later by the Reuters reporter.

FilaBrasileiro said:
That could also mean that he Stringer actually said I will lose money on every PS3 sold and the correct grammar would obviously be "would" instead of will.

While Sony might still be losing money on every PS3 sold, the OP is reaching and assuming. If I was his English teacher in his Middle School I would give him a "F" in reading comprehension.

Uhh, no, you are wrong.  If Stringer accidentally said "will" the reporter would have placed "would" in brackets.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

The Reuters reporter adding (would) into Stringer's quote does confuse the issue a bit.
No, Stringer apparently didn't say "would", but reporters will usually add words for clarification and to maintain the original intent of the statemement in situations where context is lacking/has been omitted.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

WOW Im so embarased right now.....I got called a "English newb" by a guy who thinks "I lose money" is more proper than "I would lose money"

btw...this was posted already

XxXProphecyXxX said:
WOW Im so embarased right now.....I got called a "English newb" by a guy who thinks "I lose money" is more proper than "I would lose money"

WTF?

One is not "more proper" than the other.

"I lose money" = I currently lose money.

"I would lose money" = If I did X I would lose money in the future.