By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN AU Wii Sports Resort review

Australia, July 7, 2009 - Wii Sports served its purpose wonderfully. It was a great tech demo for the Wii's new control solution and appealed to a very wide audience. It was the sort of game that was fun in short bursts for months, if not years, and was the ultimate sales pitch to convince more people to buy the system.

That said, it's definitely time for a sequel. We need some new sports action on the Wii, and in terms of this style of compilation, the third party efforts have ranged from absolutely woeful to painfully average bordering on bad. Plus,
Nintendo needs another one of those effortless tech demos to get people excited about its new MotionPlus technology.

So. Is
Wii Sports Resort all of this and more? Frankly, no.

As an overall package, Wii Sports Resort certainly has more to offer than Wii Sports. It does, after all, include two of the five previous games (bowling and golf), but to be honest it's also a very inconsistent offering in almost every way: the line-up of events is patchy at best, with some real 'they couldn't come up with anything better than this?' inclusions; there's no real commitment to either a rich single player or multiplayer experience; and finally, the use of Wii MotionPlus, while impressive at times, doesn't often feel like a brave new world for videogames. There are plenty of moments where it shines, but just as many missed opportunities. ........................

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/100/1001497p1.html

For the lazy or those whom simply wish to know the score it was 6.5.

Around the Network

Wow, 6.5? I have a hard time believing Wii Sports Resort is a slightly above average game, honestly.

It's that damn media bias against the Wii. It's a conspiracy I tellz ya!

RPG said:
It's that damn media bias against the Wii. It's a conspiracy I tellz ya!

Yeah, because that's what I said. -_- Stop trying to start fires where there aren't any.

I skimmed through the review and not one time did they complain about the Wii control or one time did I hear about tech flaws that would interupt the gameplay. All this IGN and most IGN reviews worry about and complained was for Nintendo to release new gameplay games such as a new bowling and etc. My question why mess with a sucessful game already, where as the original was a success with only 5 games also? Think about that IGN

And this is a purchase for me regardless on their review or the metacritic score because of what I said above

Around the Network

Is Nintendo even trying anymore?

@OkeyDokey

According to IGN, apparently not

Seriously, IGN AU has something against the Wii. They trash it just about every chance they get. This isn't a grand conspiracy against Nintendo, the Wii, or Wii Sports Resort. IGN AU just had their cornflakes pissed in by Nintendo a few too many times and now rage against it a decent bit.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Is Nintendo even trying anymore?

Maybe they are to busy making Zelda the best game ever :)

Hmmm, 7 posts before we got an "IGN AU hates the Wii" post

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective