By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Conduit - 140k debut, 1.13m lifetime prediction by SimExchange

famousringo said:

Ah. I bet they mean $5 profit per game sold. After buying the merchandise, paying rent, labour, marketing, etc. And itt's probably an average.

the owner of the play n trade on the southside of indy told me he makes 5 bucks a game he sells.

Around the Network

I hope the 140K is right.

Sidenote to what some are discussing in this topic.

If great games automatically meant great sales,I would not be waiting on Shenmue III.

The conduit isn't being sold for the typical retail price in the uk at launch so this should help it sell well.

http://hotukdeals.com/item/411445/the-conduit-special-edition-with-fr/

Even the special edition costs only £29.99

So has it been a week now?
Either
A.) Sales are so low that it's not even being bothered to register.
B.) Sales are past expectations and groups are double checking.
C.) Sales are just being really slow to update :(

Zak & Wiki while fun didn't fit my taste of an P&C adventure game. I preferred Broken Sword and Strong Bad 1(haven't played the rest yet) much more.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

alfredofroylan said:

Zak and Wiki is a great game but not a "solid traditional game" it's a mixture between adventure, point and click and puzzles. Kinda difficult to seel (specially because "Teh hardcore" fear kiddy designs and cute sounds)

Which is a very solid and very traditional game genre, though maybe not as much on consoles as on PC.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
alfredofroylan said:

Zak and Wiki is a great game but not a "solid traditional game" it's a mixture between adventure, point and click and puzzles. Kinda difficult to seel (specially because "Teh hardcore" fear kiddy designs and cute sounds)

Which is a very solid and very traditional game genre, though maybe not as much on consoles as on PC.

Terms change depending on the user and time period, I'm pretty sure Alfred was using the term traditional in the sense of mainstream and deemed core.  In that sense point and click hasn't been a traditional game since Grim Fandango. 

Traditional games now a days are seen as the FPS, TPS, platformer, and RPG genres. They're mainstream, there are niches within the genre but they can achieve great sales if it's good enough, appealing to the masses which means nothing out of the ordinary which throws Zack and Wiki out since no core mainstream traditional gamer would be caught dead playing a game that looks like a saturday morning cartoon, and it has to be marketed, which also throws Z&W out since the most marketing done for that game was swag was handed out at E3 and to reviewers...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
WereKitten said:
alfredofroylan said:

Terms change depending on the user and time period, I'm pretty sure Alfred was using the term traditional in the sense of mainstream and deemed core.  In that sense point and click hasn't been a traditional game since Grim Fandango. 

Traditional games now a days are seen as the FPS, TPS, platformer, and RPG genres. They're mainstream, there are niches within the genre but they can achieve great sales if it's good enough, appealing to the masses which means nothing out of the ordinary which throws Zack and Wiki out since no core mainstream traditional gamer would be caught dead playing a game that looks like a saturday morning cartoon, and it has to be marketed, which also throws Z&W out since the most marketing done for that game was swag was handed out at E3 and to reviewers...

You're confusing traditional with popular and/or mainstream. Traditional means that it has a canon that has been extabilished in the past and has been transmitted, recognized and followed to a good extent. It doesn't imply that it is popular in the present. Actually a lot of traditions are quite unpopular today, and only appeal to a minority.

As I said, it can look new or uncommon for young console gamers and thus be a tough sell, but it doesn't make the game genre any less traditional. It's almost as old school as vertical scrolling shoot-em-ups.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Yeah no kidding.  Who is calling Point 'n Click adventures not traditional?  Some really great games have been made in that genre.  For example, Myst, Phantasmagoria, Kings Quest Series, Monkey Island Series, Zork Nemesis, Zork Grand Inquisitor, Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle etc.

These may not sell as well today, but they are a classic genre that pretty much dominated PCs in the early 90s before FPSs like Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem, & Quake became popular...

Also, they are really quite fun but sadly many gamers today seem to only want to blow stuff up...  (I'm lookin' at you Red Faction: Guerilla...)

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

WereKitten said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
WereKitten said:
alfredofroylan said:

You're confusing traditional with popular and/or mainstream. Traditional means that it has a canon that has been extabilished in the past and has been transmitted, recognized and followed to a good extent. It doesn't imply that it is popular in the present. Actually a lot of traditions are quite unpopular today, and only account for a minority.

As I said, it can look new or uncommon for young console gamers and thus be a tough sell, but it doesn't make the game genre any less traditional. It's almost as old school as vertical scrolling shoot-em-ups.

>_> I'm not confusing anything... at all.. since I didn't use the term... reading what I said was "I'm pretty sure Alfred was using the term" and then tried to explain the reasoning... I could care less in this situation

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

^
You're probably right Maxwell, but  I think his main point is that younger gamers might be unaware or unappreciative of this great genre that pretty much dominated PCs in the early 90s...

Now Playing!

^ This is you!