By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo 3 sells 2.63 million copies in its first week as Xbox360 outsells Wii

Halo 3 sells 2.63 million copies in its first week as Xbox360 outsells Wii

Halo 3 broke all records this week selling around 2.63 million copies in just five days, 2.3 million coming on day one alone. The release of the most hyped title of the year pushed Xbox360 hardware sales to 125,000 for the week, beating Nintendo's Wii console but still not able to match the juggernaut that is the DS.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Halo_3_sells_2_63_million_copies_in_its_first_week_as_Xbox360_outsells_Wii

Around the Network

FIRST!!!!

Shoot ... that is sweet! It will dethrone Gears within a month at this rate. Shocking and glad I could be a part of the madness. So what it's running at 640 ... who cares? Just Sony fanboys ...

Any way you spin it, that is pretty damn impressive.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

very nice software #, but hardware boost not so impressive. this small amount of hardware boost is leaning more closely to many have predicted. Those that want Halo had most likely bought a xbox360, We'll have to see the next few weeks who hardware sales will keep up.

Or maybe that current price level is still not appealing for the mass market yet.

great software sales, but i don't understand why it sold only 120k consoles, which is only ~50% bump from 2 weeks ago. maybe it was undertracked; we'll find out.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

That's impressiv, 300k more than I thought.

My dog is way beyond my ranking list than you.

Din Apekatt  

Holy shit

Lingyis said:
great software sales, but i don't understand why it sold only 120k consoles, which is only ~50% bump from 2 weeks ago. maybe it was undertracked; we'll find out.

I expect that the vast majority of people who were "Buying an XBox 360 for Halo 3" bought an XBox 360 alongside Bioshock, Madden or a half-dozen other games that have been released in the past couple of months.

People who were expecting 250,000+ units sold in a week were being moronic

It's definitely possible that 360 was undertracked, it seems like big game releases like this are not VGChartz's strong point (just saying), but at the same time, it would have to be vastly undertracked for that number to not be disappointing.

Edit: still, nice work Halo. 

We'll have to wait and see how VGChartz did for system tracking come the next NPD. ioi did a good job with the PS3 price cut, maybe he nailed this one too.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)