By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 UT and area51 delayed until 08

^^ Your right CoD4 should ceep people busy till UT3 is perfect, good that they only release quality even if it costs them money.

Around the Network

The only companies this hurts are epic and and midway. I don't think Sony's gonna lose system sales because of this. As you can see from a number of comments above, anyone really interested in UT3 will just turn to Haze and/or Call of Duty. Personally, I was leaning towards Haze from the beginning b/c it seems more console-friendly, but was gonna wait for the reviews to come in to decide which one to get.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Leaving aside the issue of Unreal Tournament for the moment, did everyone read the actual financial news regarding Midway? They're planning on taking a HUGE beating this year:

The Company now expects third quarter revenue of approximately $39 million, as compared to the Company's previous estimate of approximately $50 million, and a net loss of $0.33 per basic and diluted share, compared to the Company's previous estimate of a net loss of approximately $0.23 per basic and diluted share.

For the year ending December 31, 2007, the Company now expects full year revenue of approximately $170 million, as compared to the Company's previous estimate of approximately $225 million, and a net loss of $0.85 per basic and diluted share, compared to the Company's previous estimate of a net loss of approximately $0.44 per basic and diluted share.

In short, Midway is estimating that their revenue will fall $11 million short of their own previous projections, and a whopping $55 million (!) under their numbers for the year as a whole. It's impossible to calculate their total shortfall without knowing the amount of stock they have out there, but MAJOR losses for the company seem unavoidable. The news more or less warns that losses will be double what was previously projected (going from a loss of 44 cents/share to 85 cents/share). Forget the marketing spin: it's going to be a bloodbath this year for Midway.

Some of our posters called this months in advance, given the stupidities associated with Strangehold ($30 million budget, releasing ONE week before Halo?!?!), so it's not exactly a surprise, I guess... but still a bit of a downer. Very few gamers seem to be aware of just how badly most third-parties are doing financially right now. Atari is on the verge of bankruptcy, Take-Two is still trying to recover from self-inflicted wounds, Midway is faltering badly, and even industry stalwarts like EA and Square are seeing significantly lower profits than in previous years. I would be worried about some of these companies if I were a fan of their games.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Double Post, Sorry. No OS on the PS3, just the browser

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

I am posting this on my PS3 right now, which is nice because the Web browser easily zooms in, unlike a computer could with a normal PC input wire to my tv. Anyways, Wasn't UT3 originally scheduled for the same release date as Haze - that would have been frustrating for me, as I want to get both. Now I will get both since they are being released at seperate times.
For all of you who say, "oooh ouch that hurts PS3 sales, this was the only game for PS3" than I can only assume that you are poor.
As someone who owns both a PS3 anda 360, I will be getting Mass Effect, (360's remaining holiday lineup IMO)
and Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Haze, Gran Turismo Prologue, (PS3's remaining holiday lineup IMO)
and then the multiplatform games I want (Assassins Creed, NBA2K8, NFS:Pro Street, COD4). These involve making a decision for which system, which is always fun.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network
ultraslick said:
I am posting this on my PS3 right now, which is nice because the Web browser easily zooms in, unlike a computer could with a normal PC input wire to my tv. Anyways, Wasn't UT3 originally scheduled for the same release date as Haze - that would have been frustrating for me, as I want to get both. Now I will get both since they are being released at seperate times.
For all of you who say, "oooh ouch that hurts PS3 sales, this was the only game for PS3" than I can only assume that you are poor.
As someone who owns both a PS3 anda 360, I will be getting Mass Effect, (360's remaining holiday lineup IMO)
and Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Haze, Gran Turismo Prologue, (PS3's remaining holiday lineup IMO)
and then the multiplatform games I want (Assassins Creed, NBA2K8, NFS:Pro Street, COD4). These involve making a decision for which system, which is always fun.

"...the Web browser easily zooms in, unlike a computer could with a normal PC input wire to my tv..."

Ever heard of Opera or the latest IE? Both feature full-page zoom. Good thing Sony was sensible enough to at least adopt this feature that has been a staple on PC browsers for years now. I guess that's also why Nintendo chose Opera for its browser because the Wii also easily zooms in and out of web pages.

"For all of you who say, 'oooh ouch that hurts PS3 sales, this was the only game for PS3' than I can only assume that you are poor."

What??? How is "hurting PS3 sales" and "this was the only game for the PS3" in any way at all remotely associated with poverty???

Yeah, I was desperately trying to make the correlation too, haha

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Doesnt fiscal quarter mean like May or something? The fiscal quarter isnt the same as a calender quarter. Bad news for PS3 and XBOX360(seeing its a timed release) fans alike.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Great so now the 2008 lineup is best for sony. 

MGS4, FF XIII, LBP, KZ2, UT3, GTA 4, and INFAMOUS are all Huge for sony. They easily have the biggest line up of 2008 thus far.

All I know for certain is the PES bundle in europe at that price will sell amazingly well.

mM
leo-j said:
Great so now the 2008 lineup is best for sony.

MGS4, FF XIII, LBP, KZ2, UT3, GTA 4, and INFAMOUS are all Huge for sony. They easily have the biggest line up of 2008 thus far.

All I know for certain is the PES bundle in europe at that price will sell amazingly well.

Dont count your chickens Leo, for one thing some of those titles may be pushed back another year (FFXIII in particular may be an '09 title) and not all (or even close to all) of the '08 titles have been announced for any of the consoles