By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Phantom Hourglass: My First Hour Impressions

I got it myself today too and I can confirm what naznatips sais. The controls feel natural and precise. The visuals looks clean (not confusing) and pleasant. My personal opinion about the music is that it's okay. Nothing amazing but it doesn't sound bad either.

Around the Network

I guess I will have to stop by the local videogame shop and pick up a copy. So glad I don't have to wait 2 weeks :P

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

It's had me use the mic a couple more times now (shouting and blowing in it). Again, this game is very obviously designed to use the DS's features in every way. Personally I'm really looking forward to giving Wi-Fi multiplayer a try. I'm in the first full dungeon now though.

BenKenobi88 said:

That's a crappy question.

You shouldn't ask if the stylus makes it better, because it's just a different way of playing. It's built for the stylus, and it's meant to be played with the stylus. You really wouldn't be able to use the D-pad in this game, so it's a moot point.

Zelda has done pretty well with the D-Pad for what, 23 years? 

Switching to the stylus for a control (like the Wiimote) isn't a small change.  The question of if the new control scheme was comparable to the old one is a valid one.

Well, like I said it's not comparable because this game isn't built to be possible with a D-Pad. It requires the ability to move in ways the D-Pad doesn't allow. As I said, the game is designed around the touchpad controls and the DS features. Those who asked for a D-Pad option either hadn't played it or just don't understand it. As this game stands, it's not possible to play it with a D-Pad. Is it a good thing it's built around touchpad controls? I think so. I'm enjoying them a lot. I think it was a good change.

Around the Network

My next DS game purchase. Thanks for the impressions, gents (and lady).

Yeah the game is just great i can't stop playing, i got myself the boomerang and the first of the 3 fairies (the red one :P) The only thing i can't understand is the whole side slash thing :/

naznatips said:
Well, like I said it's not comparable because this game isn't built to be possible with a D-Pad. It requires the ability to move in ways the D-Pad doesn't allow. As I said, the game is designed around the touchpad controls and the DS features. Those who asked for a D-Pad option either hadn't played it or just don't understand it. As this game stands, it's not possible to play it with a D-Pad. Is it a good thing it's built around touchpad controls? I think so. I'm enjoying them a lot. I think it was a good change.

I haven't played it so I'm curious.

The bolded part is the important part.

The side slash is like a L. You have to drag down... And it's supposed to work... Anyways, that's how I do it! :P

Multiplayer sounds like it's not that great...won't hold your attention for more than a few playthroughs, but we'll certainly need to play against each other this week!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )