By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No pricecut for PS3?

Many of you have read this article.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4086&gr_i_ni

This article gives reasons why Sony will essentially need a miracle to meet their 13 million consoles sold this year. My question is what are the chances that Sony chooses to make the unpopular but nessecary decision to not enforce a price cut. Their business is hurting dearly as is most of the rest of the world.

I think if Sony does a price cut sales will increase but then what happens if Xbox cuts their prices  and more importantly Wii. Could you imagine a mother standing in Bestbuy. (Do i but the $300 dollar PS3 or the $149[rumored] xbox 360). I think as much as I don't want to see it happen I think they need to keep their price and make as much of a profit ( if any) this holiday season and then next year when GOW3 comes out they reduce it when the cheaper parts and slim will be out allowing them to make profit on the console.

I could be just throwing stuff out there but what does everyone think. Please no bashing

Thank you Kowenicki

PS3 will need to outsell 360 by:         

444,931 per month to catch it by Jan 2011. 102,676 per week.
266,958 per month to catch it by Jan 2012. 61,606 per week.
190,685 per month to catch it by Jan 2013. 44,004 per week.
148,310 per month to catch it by Jan 2014. 34,225 per week.

Current rate is:  -18,262 per month    
Avge over last 6 mths          
Negative number means 360 is outselling PS3 by that amount per mth on avge
Around the Network

What about a 50$ price cut this fall, then a major price cut in 2010 bundled with god of war 3...Competition would be killed ^^, but too good to be true.

Do you think a $50 price cut would really do much. I honestly don't think it would be worth it to them to only drop it $50 dollars. It would move systems but not enough

Thank you Kowenicki

PS3 will need to outsell 360 by:         

444,931 per month to catch it by Jan 2011. 102,676 per week.
266,958 per month to catch it by Jan 2012. 61,606 per week.
190,685 per month to catch it by Jan 2013. 44,004 per week.
148,310 per month to catch it by Jan 2014. 34,225 per week.

Current rate is:  -18,262 per month    
Avge over last 6 mths          
Negative number means 360 is outselling PS3 by that amount per mth on avge

what you guys need to remember is that sony is losing money on each ps3 sold.And that Sony itself is losing quite a bit of money.

They could ruin themselves financially if they drop the price

If they don't start re-claiming their place in the console wars, then the next generation, sony would be pretty much F*****.

The only hope is PSP Go!. That should/will be sony's profitable machine.

Around the Network

Wii wont be getting a pricecut.
Its still outselling PS360 combined, and Ninty are making a tidy profit.
Colours will come before a cut.

360 shouldnt be getting another cut so soon, MS should save it for Natal launch... if they have any brains.

PS3, a pricecut is definately needed.
I expect them to release a slimline version this Christmas for ~50 cheaper, bundled with Gran Turismo 5 or Uncharted 2.
Run off the success of that, and on God of War 3/ Heavy Rain release... drop the price another ~50

emitcowboys said:
Do you think a $50 price cut would really do much. I honestly don't think it would be worth it to them to only drop it $50 dollars. It would move systems but not enough

A 50$ price cut probably puts them on par WW with the 360 at a minimum possibly selling a few thousand more than the 360 on a weekly basis.  Moving more systems than it's primary competitor is always enough.

The slimline PS3 is expected to bring costs down to around $350, so if they cut the price to that, they will boost sales, and won't lost money, but I still think it is too expensive then

well, I always predicted a price cut this fall
but I always wondered if it would be a 50$ one or a 100$ one

I understand that Sony is not in a good position for a pricecut

BUT

they projected 13M unit forecast (+30% !!!), so at the end, THEY WILL CUT THE PRICE SIGNIFICATIVELY

(even if a PSP go at 250$ and a PS3 at 300$ make no sense ...)

Time to Work !

I wonder why people say: "PSP go at 250$ and a PS3 at 300$ make no sense" It's all marketing stuff. Can you really take a PS3 in your pocket? Or could you play Uncharted 2 with a PS3 controller on an HDTV on a PSP? These products are not substitutes of each other, so comparing their prices is completely irrelevant.