By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Game Development n Sales

Squilliam said:
@Slimebeast: Crytek have other worries, like that bill in parliament which wouldn't let them make violent video games in Germany.

lol don't start. I get so angry when I read about German policies in the modern age.

Around the Network

1.but i still cant get the "console exclusive" or "console only stuff".

dont u restrict your costumer base by going console exclusive or non PC?

2.again if a movie bombs,there is still hope left in dvd sales,many flops end up good money makers as dvd rentals,is there any such sytem for flop games?

3.I have played Merchant of Brooklyn via steam,the makers couldn't find a publisher so they went open on steam..so how's the breakdown there,does anybody keep track of steam sales.

bullsize said:
1.but i still cant get the "console exclusive" or "console only stuff".

dont u restrict your costumer base by going console exclusive or non PC?

2.again if a movie bombs,there is still hope left in dvd sales,many flops end up good money makers as dvd rentals,is there any such sytem for flop games?

3.I have played Merchant of Brooklyn via steam,the makers couldn't find a publisher so they went open on steam..so how's the breakdown there,does anybody keep track of steam sales.

1. Usually it doesn't make sense to make your game exclusive, so there's most often a good reason when a game is exclusive. There could be money involved or some other incentives offered by Sony and  Microsoft behind the scenes.

But there are other examples.

Putting a game on just the PS3 instead of both PS3 and X360 dont automatically halve the sales, because you get a lot more attention from fanboys, gamers, magazines and the console makers when your game is exclusive, and that attention will increase the sales. Haze, a PS3 exclusive, sold 750,000 copies. But had it not been exclusive I dont think it had sold that much on the PS3. Maybe 500,000 on PS3 and 650,000 on the X360.

Another reason for excelsuives is when developers make their game for the X360 and PC but not PS3 because the latter platform is simply harder to develop for, and thus more costly and time consuming. This is typical for traditional PC game gamers that make their first console game, they start with the X360.

2. There's no such system in the game world as "straight to DVD" and stuff, although you could argue that there's a similar phenomenon or dynamic when it comes to a certain type of games and genres. Like all these low budget simulation games and sports games, nothing bad about them but games like Settlers and Anno 1704, and lesser known sports games (championship this or that) seem to have a very high proportion of their sales coming from the bargain bins, and I don't think it's a coincidence because Ive observed this happening for over a decade. But this is nothing compared to the movie world where this phenomenon is intricate and well thought out.

3. Steam's sales numbers are not displayed to the public and medi, so Steam sales for individual games are impossible for anyone to track. Overall it's still a small part of the total market, even for PC.

I have few questions:

Q1.Alein Vs Predator 2010 has sold  0.7 + 0.5 million units on the consoles and maybe the tally wud be 1.5 million by the end of its run..then is it

1.Super Hit

2.Sleeper Hit

3.Avg

4.or a flop

wats the benchmark of a game being a hit such that it may drive the makers make a sequel?

Q2.FEAR 2 sold around half a million and we have F3AR...

again JC2 n Metro depite being well recived are selling pretty low...are they commercial failure?

Q3.how much do DLC content save the sinking ship?