By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted before and after comparison

Check out this comparison of Uncharted's original CGI trailer from E3 '06 to how the game looks today:

Naughty Dog kick so much ass. :D

Around the Network

I will probably be the only person who prefers the "before" pics...I'm not a big fan of the new lighting, or shinyness.

I don't really know if it looks better or worse now.

I kinda like the more 'extreme' lighting and tint of in-game, it makes it look more alive.

But the in-game certainly lacks soft-shadows in some parts and the models seem overall less complex.

Am I the only one who didn't know those original shots were CGI? Not that that's a comment on the games graphics or anything, I had just always thought those were in game.

Anyways the game looks bloody gorgeous. Was there ever any doubt that it would?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yes there was a doubt it would look this good.

Heavenly sword looks better than its CGI from 2006.

Now uncharted looks better than 06 CGI.

Killzone 2 looks the same. We will see what sony does in the future. I expect FF XIII to look like its CGI, and that alone will sell copies.

mM
Around the Network

Crappy capture pics for the "after".

I much prefer the new lighting model. It looks much more realistic, imo. The contrast between light and dark, the darkness of the shadows, etc. all adds to the realism of the game. They didn't just throw in a bunch of Bloom like in Gears and Heavenly Sword, which causes everything to light up like a nuke just went off. They have a very dynamic lighting system that shows the contrast between eye-hurting sunlight, and shade beneath the trees. Just look at the light shining through the leaves of the trees. Compared this to the lighting in the original trailer, where everything looks the same, and the shadows are barely darker than ares in sunlight.

The new lighting system is simply stunning. This lighting engine rivals KZ2 and Crysis, imo.

The lighting in the original trailer looks as ancient as Half-Life 2.

It's a mixed bag. Sometimes the original target looks better, sometimes the after does. Regardless, Uncharted is a gorgeous game. I hope it does well.

leo-j said:
Yes there was a doubt it would look this good.

Heavenly sword looks better than its CGI from 2006.

Now uncharted looks better than 06 CGI.

Killzone 2 looks the same. We will see what sony does in the future. I expect FF XIII to look like its CGI, and that alone will sell copies.

Killzone 2 as a whole doesn't match it's CGI trailer.  However, the lighting system far surpasses that from teh CGI trailer, that makes up for everything else. :P  KZ2's lighting system is easily the best I have yet to see, and lighting is the most important factor for realistic graphics, imo.

And yeah, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted have easily bested their CGI trailers.  I have a feeling FFXIII will do the same.  It is Square after all. 

They both look pretty much the same. The game looks great.