By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted before and after comparison

Well despite the dodgy vid cap pics on the right being cut off (watch the vids instead) I think I prefer the new to the old as the old looks lifeless. I generally like the dynamic lighting effects of bloom, shadows etc in games.

I'm just not that excited about this game yet. Looks a lot like a Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Gears of War clone. Which actually is no bad thing as I quite like those games just nothing particularly new to entice me. Am I missing something??? Whats the hook with this game??

Around the Network

How can anyone but a Sony-fan prefer the graphics in the right column (in-game)? The right column plain sucks, and especially the vegetation changed from beautiful in the CGI to crap in-game.

I think the game definite has a great look going, but I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on it but something is bothering me about the look. I didn't notice it so much in the screenshots here but noticed it in the movie I watched yesterday (the one that was posted here).

-edit-
And I liked the old baseball jersey shirt better.

They look about the same to me. I kind of preferred the lighting in the original, and some of the vegetation looks slightly better, but I have to really scrutinize them to notice that. Nobody but a game/computer graphics nerd would notice or care.

That's right, I just called you all nerds! ;) But I'm one too if it makes you feel better.

I love the enviroments but i seriously hate the characters... the look like plastic :/

Around the Network

I'll be honest, looking over these shots I'm bothered by this game. It's a white hero going out in to the jungle fighting (exclusively?) stereotyped and crazed looking Hispanic/Native American guerrilla types. I don't know, it's just a bit... 30 years ago, and not in a positive way.

choirsoftheeye said:
I'll be honest, looking over these shots I'm bothered by this game. It's a white hero going out in to the jungle fighting (exclusively?) stereotyped and crazed looking Hispanic/Native American guerrilla types. I don't know, it's just a bit... 30 years ago, and not in a positive way.

See. that's the kind of thing selling me on the this game.  From what I understand, it's supposed to be a kind of over the top Indianna Jones type game just set in modern day and it's a bit intriguing.  I'm just afraid it's going to be too much like Tomb Raider.  Don't get me wrong, Tomb Raider Legends was good but we don't need another one floating about that doesn't have the eye candy.

Combat system looks pretty cool. I would love to see something similar in Assassins Creed.

gamingdevil said:
I love the enviroments but i seriously hate the characters... the look like plastic :/

Mostly agree though I think the after pictures' lighting is a bit much in some places.

I'm totally confused. A plurality of the shots look worse, but some look the same and some look better.
But overall the game looks good except for the shinyness.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick