By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some retailers skeptical about PSPgo's chances of success

This really does seem to be the PS3 launch all over again (with people making a big deal out of the price).  Unfortunately the big difference is that the PS3 was riding on the coattails of its extremely successful predecessors while the PSPgo is succeeding a troubled format.

http://kotaku.com/5302767/british-retailers-down-on-the-pspgo

As far as we're concerned, the PSPgo is a slick piece of hardware, but as far as two British game retailers are concerned, it may as well be a poison pie with boogers sprinkled on top.

"From my point of view I've got to think, ‘Do I want to stock this?' Right now I can't see any justification for stocking it," says Don McCabe of Brit games retailer Chips, which operates 36 stores across the UK. "Certainly I'm not getting the response from consumers."

Chris Harwood, from Grainger Games, is similarly downbeat. He says they only sell five PSPs a week across 21 stores, and with the new model costing £200-£230 (USD$330-$380), expresses doubts over its price.

"It seems really high, especially the way PSP's going at the moment," he said. "The models they've got out now are struggling at basically £129, pretty much [the] cost price, which we're putting them out at, and they're not selling through at that. We're trying to do some bundles just to push them through and the PSP just seems to have died as a format really… Nothing sells at the minute on PSP."

(more at the link)

Around the Network

lmao at thread title.

chips never heard of it and grainger games never heard of it.

all of the major stockists will have pspgo.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@ skeeuk

no doubt they will all stock it and while the PSP Go is a pretty cool piece of tech I kinda wonder if it was either necessary and especially at that price. I honestly don't see it doing that well I think the older models will continue to outsell it.

The PSP Go is a huge misfire from Sony when it can least afford one... they are absolutely delusional if they think a $250 handheld will sell during a recession. The PSP game library is also pretty week, compounding their troubles. If retailers are smart, they won't even stock it.

Chips and Grainger Games lol. Never heard of them and im British so...

Around the Network

I have never heard of them and I'm British... The PSP Go is the number one pre ordered item in the PSP section on www.gameplay.co.uk but thats hardly an indication of sales.

That's pathetic- 5 PSPs in 21 stores over the span of a week?

No wonder they are skeptical, the PSPGo costs more than a Wii! And the software is a whole other headache.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I would buy it if the price was below 200$.

I would rather get an xbox 360 or repair my current psp's screen than getting this.

damkira said:

The PSP Go is a huge misfire from Sony when it can least afford one... they are absolutely delusional if they think a $250 handheld will sell during a recession. The PSP game library is also pretty week, compounding their troubles. If retailers are smart, they won't even stock it.

Saying it has a weak library is unfair, but without getting into that argrument, it's hard not to be impressed with it's lineup in the back half of this year, which is what will really make the difference.

So the PSP go! is the Chevy Nova of this generation? No Va in Spanish means 'doesn't go or doesn't run'

In case anyones wondering about my meaning, what im truely implying is that the PSP Go! Name may be a total oxymoron and oxymoron according to the Websters online dictionary means 'A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.'

Hopefully I've cleared nothing up and you remain even more confused than before.

Tease.