By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner - First Impressions

EDIT: YES, I MEANT DEVIL SURVIVOR. I'm ashamed, I should be hanged

So, I have given this game some 2-3 hours of play, and I have to say it's quite engaging (as expected, if I might add). The story is like a more lighthearted version of Nocturne (world gone nuts in the first minute of the game, but with some character interactions Persona-like), and it's got me quite hooked up, I like the contemporary setting. I'm really liking Atsuro as character, not so much Yuzu but I can stand her. And the COMPs getting emails (something like the .hack series) works great too

As for the gameplay, it's pretty original, since it plays like a standard SRPG but when you attack an enemy or get attacked it switches to a regular SMT with weaknesses and extra turns. It plays mostly like you'd expect (Dia, Agi, Zio and all that), so if you played any SMT you'd feel right at home

Overall, I think so far the game's really great, it looks that Atlus did it yet once again. Has anyone else been able to try it, and what do you think of it?

Around the Network

Did you download the rom?

I'm buying it in the next few days, but I'm probably not going to start it until I beat DDS2.

Also, your title is wrong

Do you have to play the other SMT games to understand the story? Since I'm tempted to pick it up..

Former something....

Blacksaber said:
Do you have to play the other SMT games to understand the story? Since I'm tempted to pick it up..

No. You might appreciate/enjoy certain aspects of the game more, but you wouldn't be missing out on anything.

Around the Network
MANUELF said:
Did you download the rom?

I don't think I have to answer that

Cactus said:
I'm buying it in the next few days, but I'm probably not going to start it until I beat DDS2.

Also, your title is wrong

Dammit! I just stopped playing it, and I was thinking of the demon summons in the game! Oh, well, people will recognize it...I hope

Blacksaber said:

No, it's completely standalone. Different characters, different world, no relations to any game

Okay then I'll pick this up in the middle of July...

Former something....

You really should buy a DS.

You mean Devil SURVIVOR.. right?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

MANUELF said:
You really should buy a DS.

There are so many things I should buy...a PSP, a PS3, a Wii, an HDTV, an iPod Touch, a new PC, a better internet service, a Drum Kit for RB...

Yet the problem is always the same....