By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What to keep in the next wiimote?

Choose one aspect of the design or functionality features that you think Nintendo should use, or remove from the next wiimote (if there is actually a remote that is).

I chose Ir. pointer. It really demonstrated why certain genres were just incapable on consoles before its use, such as point and click. It allows control in fps,tps and on rails to be much more accurate and more responsive to the users natural hand movement.

Next gen. it will be whole heartedly embraced by devs who will have no excuses with stronger hardware, an industry wide developed knowledge and acceptence of motion controls and a clear install base advantage with wii households.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I honestly don't expect a new remote in the next generation. Microsoft's Natal demonstration may have been somewhat faked, but if it can even approximate the things they showed, just imagine what you'll be able to do without holding anything five or six years from now.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Remove the D-Pad and add a mouse wheel. Put the A where the pad was and put the wheel in its place

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

Keep it as it is but try to make some of the buttons more accesible and maybe add an analog stick.

thekitchensink said:
I honestly don't expect a new remote in the next generation. Microsoft's Natal demonstration may have been somewhat faked, but if it can even approximate the things they showed, just imagine what you'll be able to do without holding anything five or six years from now.

we have been able to type without mechanical keyboards, and we've had voice recognition for years, however we still have the tried and true mouse + keyboard for PC. I'm not saying the tech won't work in the future, but I think people may reject it if they have absolutely nothing to hold onto or feel.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

IR has to stay.
Upgrade the speaker, maybe add a small display.
Move the 1 and 2 buttons closer to the A button.
M+ the nunchuk.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Keep everything, add M+ and a mic. People can use it as a internal home phone :P. Default rechargeable.

honestly I have no idea outside of that.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Keep the sounds it makes. Part of Mario Kart Wii's magic is the bump and trick sounds that come from the Wii Remote. (Creating higher quality a la DSi wouldn't hurt...)

Keep the IR, change the button configuration.

-Rechargeable batteries built-in. If one thing drags the Wiimote down and makes it seem cheap, it's using AAs. And when you take them out, it feels like a light piece of sh*t.

-Maybe rubber or perforated bumps along the bottom for grip, so people wont resort to silly condoms (I dont use them, but some people do and they look stupid).

-Maybe slightly sleeker with a curve/indent in the middle (a bit like an hourglass but less pronounced) for better grip and a futuristic design (so it looks like they upgraded it...)

-M+ for nunchuk as some people said.

-Maybe (very far out idea) replace buttons with a totally flat interface, like a giant touchscreen, and have buttons appear when you turn it on- then buttons could move, be added or taken away depending on the game and what suits each game best. For instance, in a platformer, the 1 and 2 and A button could move to where the d-pad is, and the d-pad could drop to the bottom for cam adjustment (with nunchuk stick controlling character, obviously). Part of it could be a screen in certain games, e.g team selection hidden from other player in Pokemon, or hints in Zelda.

That's all I have right now...

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com