By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Remedy Licenses Umbra for Alan Wake

Max Payne developer Remedy Entertainment has licensed Umbra Software's rendering optimization middleware for its upcoming Xbox 360 title Alan Wake.

Umbra, the company's "flagship" product, is GPU-accelerated, and intended to boost rendering performance and speed content creation for rich game worlds on Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3.

The company says it increases framerates by determining the set of visible objects on each frame, and renders only visible objects in order to improve performance on both CPU and GPU. According to Umbra Software, it does all processing at runtime, and allows developers to add, remove and move objects at run-time without significantly affecting performance.

"With Umbra's culling technology, Remedy's team can add more details to Alan Wake's world and concentrate on the cool visuals while minimizing tedious work such as adding portals," says Remedy development director Markus Maki.

"It's been a pleasure working with Remedy on Alan Wake," adds Umbra CEO Marko Nurro.

link: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24078

Around the Network

PS3 version confirmed!

badgenome said:
PS3 version confirmed!

Oh noes!

dont think so
alan wake is published by microsoft

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

Okay, so they are using "Umbra" and the newest version of "Havok"

this game is going to be awesome!

Around the Network

Is this a recent addition? If so, that says some bad things to me. It's almost like saying all of the images they've already shown were BS.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

^ don't think so...guess they were just ready to reveal this

ChichiriMuyo said:
Is this a recent addition? If so, that says some bad things to me. It's almost like saying all of the images they've already shown were BS.

I dont think so.They talked about this on the forum.Sounded (to me anyway) that they intergrated this early in the 360 devlopment to increase the framerate while not sacrificing detail.About the havok think I dunno,I never read that thread.

Natal and Sony's flashing Ice cream cone

otoniel said:
dont think so
alan wake is published by microsoft

As was Ninja Gaiden 2.

I don't think we'll see it on PS3 though... Remedy said that they don't wanna do it.

So backface culling?

I thought most games did this already...huh

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League