By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Overrated Game ever? A pointless rant

NintendoTogepi said:

I've always found it overrated.

PC shooters were doing what Halo 2 was doing 3 years before Halo 1 came out.

Hey! Stop making me think. This isn't Math class!

Around the Network

I suppose one way to put it when I think about it is that Halo is today's Goldeneye.

I can try showing the XBox / XBox 360 kids that there was a console FPS far superior to Halo in every way years before it but it'll never sink into their heads heh. Shame they likely won't touch Timesplitters either!

*sigh*... 20 years old and I already feel ancient!

My friends always told me Halo was popular because it was easy and streamlined enough for anyone to pick up and from there that accessability let it snow ball into this annoying cultural phenomenon.

Well, I've always felt like Halo was overrated. When I played the original Halo, I thought it was fun but it didn't equal the hype I had heard before hand. Besides, when I hear most overrated game ever, Final Fantasy VII immediately comes to mind.

Darc Requiem said:
Well, I've always felt like Halo was overrated. When I played the original Halo, I thought it was fun but it didn't equal the hype I had heard before hand. Besides, when I hear most overrated game ever, Final Fantasy VII immediately comes to mind.
I think FF7 is overcredited, I much prefer older titles in the series. However I won't argue that FF7 did some things we hadn't really seen before. It even pushed in the FMV sequences into the main stream and they held there for quite some time and are still holding on.  The only thing I can think of Halo having offered when it was new that was fairly rare for console games was, online play. But these days so many games have good strong online play, and more interesting systems then Halo I can't comprehend it. I went to buy Eternal Sonata at Best Buy all the clerks were looking at me like "No halo?" when I told them "I've been playing games too long got sick of FPS in 1994" they looked at me with this blank look like I just spoke some unknown language. 

Around the Network

Posted this on another discussion, but think it belongs better here. 

Spent about 5 hours playing Halo 3 round a mate's house this weekend, and its good and i enjoyed the game (didn't quite finish it though). however, i enjoyed it because i've been sucked into the storyline from owning the Xbox with the previous two games. I loved them and i wanted to know how it all panned out for the Chief...

BUT, i'm not impressed with Halo 3. its fun, yes, but it's slow, it lags in places, and when it's loading the next bit it stalls the game play, causing it to jerk. When you're in a Warthog, you can see the details in the ground appear as you move... this isn't impressive at all. i was sad to say that after reading all the rave reviews, it didn't feel as good as it should be. maybe my expectations were too high, but i own a PS3 and these are not issues i'd thought i'd come across in the 360.

I may even go as far as to say that Halo 3 is riding the waves of enthusiasm left by Halos 1 and 2, and not on its own merits.

I'm also disappointed to hear that its not fully HD... i had been told it was fully 1080... to hear its not, just 'upscaled' from not event 720, is disappointing.

In the war between 360 and PS3, graphics is a major battleground as much as anyone wants to play it down. For THE 360 game of 2007 to not hold that flag and shame Sony is surprising... it feels to me that MS have been touting the 360 as the equal of the PS3, and then mislead customers by not living up to that expectation even on their flagship game.

the game is pretty, and its certainly got more detail than the first 2 installments, but there's something about the environments that don't seem right, a little 2D perhaps? not enough depth? details on obvious bits but lacking in the background. i don't exactly know, but i didn't feel totally impressed.

Sorry Bungie, i like all you're Halo games, but Halo 3 is 1 and 2 with better graphics and that's it. even the graphics aren't as good as i expected them to be. i'm afraid it needed something to stop it getting boring, but it hasn't. Halo 3 has been hyped to the point of hysterics, but i don't think its quite served...

As for the 360... i think this game has demonstrated some of its limitations that the PS3 has easily surpassed even this early on.

good fun game, solid FPS, but done before. over hyped and disappointing as a result.

Plus, the Flood is just damn annoying.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Any game that gets as much hype as Halo 3 did, is overhyped. But, I've never had as much fun on any other FPS with online multi-player (just don't use the headset. Too much garbage over chat). And personally, I've always found FPS games much more enjoyable on console than PC.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I thought Halo 3 lived up to the hype for me... i've had a ball playing it so far...

If you enjoy this game why wouldnt you want more? Sounds like you contradict yourself.

I've grown up on PC first person shooters (and been fragging live humans since DOOM), so I know that Halo is anything but innovative, but Halo + Live + Ranking + Couch = a damn good time.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

There is an argument that every game that generates any hype is a game that has received to much hype. There are always those that are looking to harsh on an experience. The truth of the matter is Halo 3 has had massive sales, and might end up being the best selling game of this year. Might end up being the best selling game on its respective console, and might be the best selling game of this generation. Numbers do not lie.

A legion of gamers feel the series is a fantastic one, and Halo 3 is the pinnacle or the definitive vision of the series. That said you have to say all these gamers are complete idiots who do not know a fantastic game when they see one. Which comes off sounding egotistical. Great games have great sales. Fantastic games have fantastic sales.

I have yet to figure out what the legitimate gripe really is. Other then the fact that someone really loves another game, or thought another game was better. Rarely is their a legitimate complaint about the gameplay, the graphics, the sound, or the mechanics. Were there any I am sure we would read people moaning about them constantly.

The hype is obviously justified by the quality, and it has received ratings that show exactly that its a near flawless game. Buyer feedback has had few if any negative comments about the game itself. The sales further bolster that claim. Even without the marketing this game was bound to have outsold Madden on its first day.

We have seen the reviews. We have played the game. We have seen the sales. Exactly what more is required? What exactly proves this game is not overrated?