By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Overrated Game ever? A pointless rant

I guess people can always claim hype drove up demand and that popularity doesn't always determine quality, but then again what does?

Around the Network

Halo 2 is prolly one of the most overated games of all time....

Yeah, im not a big halo fan, was the type to play halo 2 over xbox live for a month, then get tired of it, wasnt exactly into it. I think what makes Halo such a big franchise is the mulitplayer. Thats what made the first halo big, because it allowed you to connect 16 people in a console mulitplayer game, which at the time was unheard of. Then Halo 2 improved on that with xbox live. What makes halo so popular is its multiplayer. If it had no mulitplayer, it would be an unknown, or at least less known, game.

Shadow of the Colossus...

www.cuidar.com.br

But did you really expect anything different from the people who brought you Windows?

Microsoft needs a one trick pony. Changing their trick would mean restructuring their marketing campaign. If you can't tell by now that Microsoft is all about throwing money at their problems then maybe you should lock your wallet up and throw away the key.

VGChartz forums: the new gamefaqs

Around the Network
AntiFanTard said:
But did you really expect anything different from the people who brought you Windows?

Microsoft needs a one trick pony. Changing their trick would mean restructuring their marketing campaign. If you can't tell by now that Microsoft is all about throwing money at their problems then maybe you should lock your wallet up and throw away the key.

How can something so unapologetically flame worthy make so much sense.

My cousin LOVES FPS...but only on PC, aside from Resistance, for some reason. He'll play SWAT or Counter-Strike or Unreal, but he's never once touched Halo that I know of. Matter of fact he actively avoids it.

he halo series can bst be shown thru the life of a stripper---

1--you start young and fresh bringing a sense of enticement to the stage
2--after a few years you know a few more tricks and you can really turn some heads
3--after mor years you are startign to really show your age and even though you can bend over backwards and such you still cant hide the fact you aer past your prime

I find Halo is average when you're alone in a room playing online but it's great fun when you go online with a friend in the same room.

And it's because of the voice chat that I find the lack of voice chat in Wii offerings so disappointing.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

To answer the orginal posters question. Microsoft spent an insane amount of money (I think $500M) in marketing on the intial rollout of the XBOX. The problem was that all it had in the first six months were PS2 ports, a few shitty first party titles, a ho-hum OddWorld game, and Halo. The early adopters used Halo as a means to justify their otherwise foolish purchase. From there it grew into the absurd hype train that it is today. It's easily the most overhyped game series of all time. I don't know about overrated tho, GTA has it easily beat there.