By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't 360 and PS3 be as reliable as the Wii?

StiC said:
I'm on my second PS3, after the BD drive went in my first one after only 7 weeks.

I'm also on my second Wii, my first one would not read disks when I got it home and my second has intermittent and very persistent disc read errors as well as black artifacts on the screen. I've tried different TVs and cables with no luck, I figure it's just a matter of time before I have to get it repaired.

should probably just send the Wii in now, you might have an older version.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
rckrz6 said:
its called more complex hardware = more failure.

That's not true. There's plenty of complex hardware out there which has a very low rate of failure... spaceships, supercomputers...

and my PC

dahuman said:
Nintendo platforms are known to be almost indestructible and last for a really long time in general by %, they make solid hardware for the most part.

you may or may not have read about this, but...

it still plays tetris.

'nuff said

lmfao @ the charred gameboy that still works

I don't know if they still do, but Nintendo Power used to publish letters to the editor. Two I remember very clearly. One said that their house burnt down, and one of the few things that was still working was their SNES. Another said that there SNES got thrown out of a second story window and still worked. That thing was a beast!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Design flaws that can't be predicted, I guess. Even though I've never had a Nintendo console fail, I hear more about the Wii failing than I'm comfortable with. As for Sony and Microsoft -I guess it took me twenty plus years to actually realize that consoles are like every other thing we buy. They break. At least now, I can afford to repair/replace them.

Grampy said:
A lot of problems are heat related and Nintendo dodges that bullet pretty well by a more conservative design. Certainly they can and do fail but at a commendably low rate. But to give credit where it's due, they put in some impressive build quality. Next time you change the batteries in the Wiimote, check out the battery holder. They could have just used a bent piec of metal like the rest of the world but no............

Did you know that the same group of manufacturers make the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3?  You were right when you mentioned heat but I find it hard to believe that Nintendo puts any more money into build quality than the competition considering how cheap their optical drives have been in the Wii and Gamecube.

For what I know the ps3 is pretty reliable

lol yeah you guys did hear about Sony Laptops right? I use to work in compusa and hear many customers talking about how much of them burned out lol

twesterm said:
yo_john117 said:

What i'm wondering is why don't MS and Sony try to be more like nintendo with making their consoles so they don't die so often.  Is it that hard to make a reliable console??

So do you think that MS and Sony are purposly making their consoles fail?

To be fair i think Nintendo just makes better hardware for whatever reason.  All of their consoles have been beasts when it comes to durability.  Like that gameboy that survived a bomb or whatever.

Sony seems to make their products fail on purpose after warranty...(some companys do plan that) but not really with the videogame systems.  Since those are ones you want to keep working so people keep buying software.