By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shops refuse to stock psp in Europe till they get psn cards

Goed zo. Als alle winkels nu maar volgen.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
jetrii said:
NJ5 said:

PS: Internet, please stop saying digital distribution, all games are digitally distributed whether online or on discs.

No, they are not. Digital distributing is an industry accepted term which means providing content and information over the internet. This is like people claiming that games are all CG. While this is true, CG is accepted and understood as being pre-rendered in the context of games.

DVD, Blu-Ray, UMD etc. are all digital formats, so I don't really see how online distribution can be any more digital than that.

I realize it's probably too late, but somehow I still wish people would use a proper name for online distribution.

CG refers to computer graphics in general, yet in gaming people only use it to describe pre-rendered/cinematic scenes. Also, your logic is flawed, even though DVDs store digital data, the discs themselves are tangible objects, not digital. How the data on the disc is stored is completely irrelevent.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

jetrii said:
NJ5 said:
jetrii said:
NJ5 said:

PS: Internet, please stop saying digital distribution, all games are digitally distributed whether online or on discs.

No, they are not. Digital distributing is an industry accepted term which means providing content and information over the internet. This is like people claiming that games are all CG. While this is true, CG is accepted and understood as being pre-rendered in the context of games.

DVD, Blu-Ray, UMD etc. are all digital formats, so I don't really see how online distribution can be any more digital than that.

I realize it's probably too late, but somehow I still wish people would use a proper name for online distribution.

CG refers to computer graphics in general, yet in gaming people only use it to describe pre-rendered/cinematic scenes. Also, your logic is flawed, even though DVDs store digital data, the discs themselves are tangible objects, not digital. How the data on the disc is stored is completely irrelevent.

What you're saying is this is not the only flawed name, CG is also flawed. Fine enough, I never said the opposite.

What is a "digital object" and how does it oppose a "tangible object"? Digital means "two digits", and it refers to using binary data (which all the media used for games uses). Since you are a computer programmer, surely you understand that there's no fundamental difference between discs and online distribution in regard to how the data is represented (it's all digital, and it has to be since all consoles are digital computers).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The data on those carriers is digital, however their distribution is not.
Their distribution (even if you order it over the internet) is still a physical copy and last I checked plastic and colourfully printed glossy paper were still very easy to tell apart from a file. Is sending you an email the same as sticking a floppy in your mailbox?

Is this splitting hairs really what matters though?
Sony better get those PSN cards in Europe and maybe one day they will be able to present us with a non-retarded explanation how keeping them unavailable has made them profit more.

alekth said:

The data on those carriers is digital, however their distribution is not.
Their distribution (even if you order it over the internet) is still a physical copy and last I checked plastic and colourfully printed glossy paper were still very easy to tell apart from a file. Is sending you an email the same as sticking a floppy in your mailbox?

Is this splitting hairs really what matters though?

I didn't say it's the same, I said they're both digital. As I said before, being physical or virtual has nothing to do with being digital or not, it's like color and smell, two separate classifications.

If you're talking to someone who has never heard the name before, you'll have to explain it to them, whereas everyone can understand what "online distribution" is (as long as they know what online is, which is more likely than knowing what digital is).

It's not that big a deal, just a pet peeve I have.

Around the Network

Good i hope this pushes sony to release them everywhere.

Great news... lets hope that Sony will listen to them and release those damn cards here to :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

NJ5 said:
jetrii said:
NJ5 said:

DVD, Blu-Ray, UMD is called phisical media, because the digital content is store in a phisical media you also purchase, on DD you dont have phisical media only the digital content.... wow you do like to contradict everything

PSP GO WILL FAIL (IT CANT COMPETE WITH THE PSP 3000)

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

radha said:

DVD, Blu-Ray, UMD is called phisical media, because the digital content is store in a phisical media you also purchase, on DD you dont have phisical media only the digital content.... wow you do like to contradict everything

OK so you found a contorted way of justifying the name, which still doesn't mean it isn't unnecessarily confusing for people who haven't learned the term. Congrats.