By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Am I alone in thinking Super Mario RPG is inferior to other Mario RPGs?

Honestly, I hear so much praise for Super Mario RPG anywhere I go, but I think both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga blow it out of the water. Am I alone in this?

Around the Network

I haven't played Paper Mario but I like SMRPG more than Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. SMRPG is good (its not bad, but not something really amazing), but I just don't like M&L: SS (is that how you shorten its name?), I can't even explain it good...

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Yes, you are alone man, I'm sorry.
For example, for me SMRPG soundtrack and bosses are the catchiest, more memorable I've ever seen on a RPG, Mario game or not. Paper Mario is way too... abstract, if youi get what I'm saying . And lol @ Mario & Luigi saga :P

haxxiy said:
Yes, you are alone man, I'm sorry.
For example, for me SMRPG soundtrack and bosses are the catchiest, more memorable I've ever seen on a RPG, Mario game or not. Paper Mario is way too... abstract, if youi get what I'm saying . And lol @ Mario & Luigi saga :P

What's lol about it? It's easily one of the best games on the GBA, it's hilarious.

I would say Super Mario RPG is better than Mario & Luigi, but I agree with you that that Paper Mario 1 & 2 are vastly superior.

Around the Network

Yeah, basically the later games are all vastly superior, it's just that, well, SMRPG was the first Mario RPG. People get blinded by nostalgia and tend to look at the game through rose-tinted glasses. Sure it's a great game, but the later ones are just, well, better. I think most evryone would agree if they were to look at each game objectively and unbiased. Though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

mostly alone.you can first play the paper marios and AFTER that play the older super mario rpg(to avoid nostalgia) and still realize it was better and deeper.Which is a shame.

Cheebee said:

Yeah, basically the later games are all vastly superior, it's just that, well, SMRPG was the first Mario RPG. People get blinded by nostalgia and tend to look at the game through rose-tinted glasses. Sure it's a great game, but the later ones are just, well, better. I think most evryone would agree if they were to look at each game objectively and unbiased. Though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

This. I have to say that I, myself, am biased towards the original Paper Mario, because it was my first RPG. I still like the classic storybook/adventure style of that game's story - the sequels don't have the same charm in my mind, even if they are a lot more humorous.

The original Mario RPG is just... Weird. I guess I can't blame Square too much since they didn't have a lot to go on at the time, but I wasn't a fan of their slapstick and transformation acts (seriously?) and their original constructs/characters are distinctly alien and unfitting to the Mario universe.

Mario & Luigi had an awesome battle system and a great sense of humor, but completely dropped the ball during the second half of the game. I can't say I like it as much as others do.

i agree with zzeta

Paper Mario TTYD > Paper Mario > Super Mario rpg > Mario & Luigi SS

Improvements are caused by people who complain

I like Mario & Luigi better--the hilarious writing and the way they get you to participate in the combat even though it's turn-based (to a much greater degree than SMRPG did).

Paper Mario's about even with SMRPG--both great.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."