By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Hardware, Nintendo Wii hits new low

Well, all kind of monopoly is bad, but I don't think that what Nintendo is doing is actually a domination. Sony have the most selling console ever, PS2, which is still selling well for a "old generation console". Microsoft is rising day after day with its Xbox 360, at least in America and Europe. In fact, what Nintendo is doing is 'equilibrating' the fight. After 10 years with great selling portables (GB after Pokémon, GBC, GBA, DS) and bad selling platforms (N64, GC), Big N reassumed its part of the market, showing that it's not a company just 'for kids', but for any gamer, even if it is a kid, an adult or a elderly. Finally, the "reactionary spirit" that Yamauchi left in the company for more than 20 years is being destroyed. Wii and DS are the proof of that. The market says thanks, and Sony and Microsoft now are finally fighting with the 'good and old' Nintendo. Here we go!

It sounds good when you say "For the People", but what you really want is... a stronger army than the Knights, and the evil power to control the people.

(Ramza Beoulve, Final Fantasy Tactics)

Around the Network

Death2009 - seriously. I dont understand the. "down with nintendo" I think the Wii isnt the best for gaming. I personally think the 360/PS3 have the best approach. As I've always felt next gen games were meant to be more realistic. I rember reading an article about how games will be indistinguishable from real life in 2015. Nintendo might get Doom3 style graphics out by then. I've always felt next gen is about the world, the feel, the style. Okami = next gen Wario Ware = way past last gen God of War (1) = Next gen Zelda TP = a SNES game was better at the same thing. NOT next gen. I'm not gonna say what sells. But I've always felt next gen was more realism. I think the most next gen game I've ever played was X3. And for those who dont know what that is. http://egosoft.com

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Death2009 said: anything that shows the big N is slowing is good news for gaming. It dropped by over 100k in north america and now is falling in japan! Nintendo, your time of dominance is coming to an end!
yup because dropping 100,000 and still selling more when the competition is barely doing 100,000 is a bad thing. You don't like it, woohoo it does not mean it's a bad system. I'd quote you figures that show there's good software for the DS too but people like you don't use logic.

@kwaad More realism, the feel, the style, about the world... and you leave twilight princess off this list of games that you consider "next gen"? Just because it has been done before doesn't imply that it is not "next gen". I am assuming you would consider resistance a next gen game (but not gears of war...), but shooters have been done before so I guess its not.

euclid said: @kwaad More realism, the feel, the style, about the world... and you leave twilight princess off this list of games that you consider "next gen"? Just because it has been done before doesn't imply that it is not "next gen". I am assuming you would consider resistance a next gen game (but not gears of war...), but shooters have been done before so I guess its not.
Resistance is NOT next gen. Graphically it is beautiful, but it's not next gen. Gears of War is NOT next gen in ANY way. Oblivion *is* innovation. FarCry *was* Innovation. SPORE *IS* Innovation. Innovation = Next gen in gameplay. Graphically, I think FarCry is still at the top of the food chain. Some games look fractionally better... but have no-where near the scale. (oblivion is the only one I think looks better) I am not saying Everything on the PS3 is Next Gen. When your playing a game, and your on a motorcycle, and the rider hits a sign. Every game I've ever played before the whole bike/ride stops. In motorstorm, the bike keeps going. The Rider dont. That is Next gen. Zelda TP: Graphics - not the best on the GameCube. GamePlay - WindWaker was better Story - nothing amazing Art - Nothing special. The Art is quite traditional for Nintendo 'adult' games. Wii Sports is Next gen in gameplay. Dont think I attack Nintendo because their Nintendo. EDIT: I just wanna say, most of the games I list on there are 360. I am anti-microsoft. Just to let you guys know. Innovation / Next gen is what matters to me. Microsoft has gotten alot of it over the last year becuase of their power. Sony is going all out. Heavenly Sword - Graphics, Amazing. Other than that I cant judge it. LAIR - Amazing graphics, and promised next gen gameplay. I expect next gen out of the future of PS3. I expect last gen out of the Wii.

Around the Network

What is innovative about God of War?

I really think Nintendo is saving Wii stock for Super Paper Mario (which btw fits Kwaad's next-gen definition because you can switch from 2D-3D at will, which has never been done before)

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said: I really think Nintendo is saving Wii stock for Super Paper Mario (which btw fits Kwaad's next-gen definition because you can switch from 2D-3D at will, which has never been done before)
There is a PSP game coming out that lets you do that. euclid - The gameplay, how fluid it is, the scale, the epic feeling.

Kwaad said: euclid - The gameplay, how fluid it is, the scale, the epic feeling.
and Twilight Princess is missing which one of these qualities?

Kwaad said: euclid said: @kwaad More realism, the feel, the style, about the world... and you leave twilight princess off this list of games that you consider "next gen"? Just because it has been done before doesn't imply that it is not "next gen". I am assuming you would consider resistance a next gen game (but not gears of war...), but shooters have been done before so I guess its not. Resistance is NOT next gen. Graphically it is beautiful, but it's not next gen. Gears of War is NOT next gen in ANY way. Oblivion *is* innovation. FarCry *was* Innovation. SPORE *IS* Innovation. Innovation = Next gen in gameplay. Graphically, I think FarCry is still at the top of the food chain. Some games look fractionally better... but have no-where near the scale. (oblivion is the only one I think looks better) I am not saying Everything on the PS3 is Next Gen. When your playing a game, and your on a motorcycle, and the rider hits a sign. Every game I've ever played before the whole bike/ride stops. In motorstorm, the bike keeps going. The Rider dont. That is Next gen. Zelda TP: Graphics - not the best on the GameCube. GamePlay - WindWaker was better Story - nothing amazing Art - Nothing special. The Art is quite traditional for Nintendo 'adult' games. Wii Sports is Next gen in gameplay. Dont think I attack Nintendo because their Nintendo. EDIT: I just wanna say, most of the games I list on there are 360. I am anti-microsoft. Just to let you guys know. Innovation / Next gen is what matters to me. Microsoft has gotten alot of it over the last year becuase of their power. Sony is going all out. Heavenly Sword - Graphics, Amazing. Other than that I cant judge it. LAIR - Amazing graphics, and promised next gen gameplay. I expect next gen out of the future of PS3. I expect last gen out of the Wii.
There's no such thing as next-gen gameplay. Next gen only means graphics. Or if that was the case, the Wii would be the only next gen console, because everything in PS3/360 can be done on PS2 with worse graphics.