By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

Zizzla_Rachet said:
JEDE3 said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
nojustno said:
Shit just got real! Doesn't matter though they'll cut before 2011 anyway.

Real Talk!

To bads for Teh Cell Fans...Just him saying this was huge..And props to the Damage control Sony People..All of a sudden No one played any Activision games....Well I guess that was Activisions' point

I think you best reread the thread...

After about seven or more post saying "I don't buy activision games"

or "Not going to Miss Activison"....I don't think I need to reread the thread..I read the article on Kotaku this morning...

Err buddy.. The only 2 franchises that people accually care about are Guitar hero and Call of Duty. If they stopped supporting Sony, it would probably smaller things.

If you think they would take GH and CoD off PS3, your nuts.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

One thing that is interesting in this situation is how it could (very well) be a defining moment in the generation because, depending on Sony's action now, Activisions reaction will likely influence how things turn out to be in line with their expectations based on Sony's action ...

Essentially, if Sony reduces the price then Activision will expect the PS3 and PSP to continue to be viable platforms and will support them; and because Activision continues to support them the PS3 and PSP will continue to be viable platforms. In contrast, if Sony maintains the price of the PS3 Activision will expect the PS3 to continue struggling and to see a drop in support from other third party publishers, and Activision will lower support for the PS3; this will result in consumers seeing less value in the PS3 and other third party publishers losing confidence in the PS3, the system will continue to struggle and will lose support, which will match Activision's expectations.

Yep pretty much, third parties do have a strong influence on the success of a console. Its more than the fact that a certain console misses out on games, its also the perception that it gives people about the future of a platform. If they were to pull support significantly enough for people to notice, it may reduce everyones confidence in the platform. So like you said its a self fulfilling prophecy.

Tease.

They could feasibly cut their teams to 1/3 what they currently are at right now. It's a little crazy to think they'd cut Sony off directly, but if others followed suit it would be ugly... the last time this happened it put Sega out of the console biz... I know that Sony had a lot to do with that, but no EA games hurt Sega tons.

I'm sure Activision would still release some of the big games CoD on the PS3, but may forgo porting some of the niche/kiddie games to the PS3.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

And why would they stop supporting PSP?? Its cheaper to develop than 360 and it has bigger userbase than 360

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
And why would they stop supporting PSP?? Its cheaper to develop than 360 and it has bigger userbase than 360

because of the massive piracy on psp software.

XxXProphecyXxX said:
BladeOfGod said:

good point, but there is a massive piracy on PC as well

BladeOfGod said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
BladeOfGod said:

good point, but there is a massive piracy on PC as well

I know it puzzles me too.

So basically he's saying that it costs too much to develop games for a company that's not making him much money? How dare he?

That isn't a sound business strategy at all. This is why Activision isn't a very strong 3rd party developer.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
So basically he's saying that it costs too much to develop games for a company that's not making him much money? How dare he?

That isn't a sound business strategy at all. This is why Activision isn't a very strong 3rd party developer.

They are actually the strongest 3rd party developer after dethroning EA a couple years ago.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).