By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Magic: the Gathering for XBLA = bad

hmm, i see both sides of the argument here. i guess in order to enjoy it, you kind of have to drop a few familiar aspects of the actual Magic game and just go with this reduced version.

the sticking-with-pre-cons aspect sounds fine. that does help balance people who play a lot and those who just play every now and then. like others have said, it's not about building legit tournament decks here.

the 2.5 sec rule sound bad. but if you're willing to gloss over that, maybe it's not so bad.

not being able to keep mana open? that's one legitimate complaint since this simplication pretty much turns magic into a whole different game. it just changes too many things.

on battle: you know, they just recently changed the rules on combat. i don't know if this game is supposed to reflect the changes or what, but the new rule is that once you get to the combat damage phase, it's too late to regenerate or pumps. you need activate those abilities BEFORE the combat damage phase. as i understand the new rules, combat damage phase is now more like a state-based effect, there is no time for instances or abilities to be played here (such as, can't sac a mogg fanatic). also, the blocking rules and damage assginment have changed, so maybe those mechanics are actually being played out correctly.

more info on other rule changes (to be applied soon):

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/42a

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
mysticD said:
twesterm said:
johnathonmerritt said:
axumblade said:
yeah.....I don't trust video game versions of Magic the Gathering...x.o

I thought the online PC card game was good. It wasn't anything fancy, but it worked well. I just didn't like the idea on having to spend so much money on digial cards.

Yeah, if they had that interface and controls just converted to XBL that would be good.

I would even be happy with the bad decks and very limited selection in the game as long as I could customize them.

Here's a good read from the designer of the game and reasons why they went this route with Duel of the Planewalkers for XBLA

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/43c

Oh and you could interupt action, let said you assign blocker. Before damage is dealt there is an optiion "A" pop up and at this point you can used card ability.  For example if you have those little Pyro guy, you can assign him to block before the damage is dealth you can tap him using "A" button to use his card ability to ping someone for 1 damage.

Some of the process have been streamline for simplicity sake.  Again, not to beat a dead horse but if you want a full functioning, deck building, sanction legal Magic, there is already one available (and have been available for quite sometimes).

This game is for people who just want to pitch two decks together for fun.  I bought several pre-made Magic decks (and they cost a lot more than the $10.00 asking price of XBLA version) and used them as is because it's balance and anyone of my family and friends can just pick up and play.  I pick up couple boosters here and there to beef up the deck (since those starter are usually only 40 cards) but they deck remain balance.  No tournament style shut down (read boring to play) in casucal non compettive setting).  Why would any of your friends want to come over to play with you when you have the uber decks that beat them down every round.

Sorry for the long rant on this but it's really annoying to see people dismiss this game without seeing why and who it is for.  This is the same as people dismissing those Wii party games as lame, but you know what, when you are getting together with friends and family they are more fun to play because the game offer easy to learn and easy to pick up and play for everyone. 

That's not Magic though, if they're using the name of the franchise and building a simulation of what the real life card game does, then I expect them to at least give me some of the most BASIC functionality that any Magic player demands and expects.

What's the point of dumbing it down to such a severe degree? That's just using a franchise's name to garner more sale and deceiving the fans that bought the game thinking they're actually buying Magic the Gathering.

Make your own game and call it Magik for Beginners or something and sell that, don't make a game called Magic the Gathering that actually simulate the card game then throw away everything that makes Magic unique.

And as for local multiplayer, how the hell do you play a game of magic with only 1 screen? does this mean the opponent can see my card whenever its my turn? Urrgh!

Seriously, for all I know this could a very fun casual game but I repeat: This is not Magic! From Twestern's description, not even Portal Edition is this dumbed down!

So yes, I'll dismiss this game despite the developer's justification of a casual leaning expirience, because in his effort to make the game more noob friendly he essentially destroyed what made Magic unique. He might as well create his own generic fantasy setting card game rather than decieve real player who are actually interested in Magic into purchasing this farce.

edit: I don't have this game, I am basing my criticism on the feature twestern has highlighted as missing in his comment and which I view as completely unacceptable in any Magic game that tries to simulate the real card game expirience.

That is what they did, so I am not sure what is your argument.  The game is XBL ARCADE Magic Duel of the Planewalkers. It's not Magic TGC the digital game.  It's never set out to be that game.  It's $10.00 , it's what it is.  So by your argument, Nintendo should never call any of their Mario spin off game Mario because it's not Super Mario Brothers? 

They used Magic name, because at its core it still is Magic card game, it's follow similar rule sets , used the same card pull.

I still fail to see why any of you would dismiss this game out of hand because this is not Magic On-line.  It never was reveal to be as such, or I never have seen they imply that this would be Magic On-line for Xbox 360.

To me, this is the best way to go and not turn the game into hardcore Magic.  Do you really want to spend all your Microsoft Space bucks on virtual card just to be competitvie?  How about hacking and cheating ?  If they want to create the real Magic experience as you want then they would have to create a server side storage so there would not be save game tampering (you know it will happen in any competitive type of game). 

Again, I think you guys clamoring for decks buildings, virtual cards buying etc are missing the point.  

Lingyis said:
hmm, i see both sides of the argument here. i guess in order to enjoy it, you kind of have to drop a few familiar aspects of the actual Magic game and just go with this reduced version.

the sticking-with-pre-cons aspect sounds fine. that does help balance people who play a lot and those who just play every now and then. like others have said, it's not about building legit tournament decks here.

the 2.5 sec rule sound bad. but if you're willing to gloss over that, maybe it's not so bad.

not being able to keep mana open? that's one legitimate complaint since this simplication pretty much turns magic into a whole different game. it just changes too many things.

on battle: you know, they just recently changed the rules on combat. i don't know if this game is supposed to reflect the changes or what, but the new rule is that once you get to the combat damage phase, it's too late to regenerate or pumps. you need activate those abilities BEFORE the combat damage phase. as i understand the new rules, combat damage phase is now more like a state-based effect, there is no time for instances or abilities to be played here (such as, can't sac a mogg fanatic). also, the blocking rules and damage assginment have changed, so maybe those mechanics are actually being played out correctly.

more info on other rule changes (to be applied soon):

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/42a

I am not sure but I know in the XBLA Magic you have to do all that before damage is assign. 

@twestern

This is far from a bad game. I am not sure what was you expectation for it was but it's definitely a lot for an XBLA game. Here is what the designers said was the reasoning behind the restriction on deck building and cards

"Yes, you hit the nail on the head when you suggest that the lack of card removal was for reasons of deck balance. To be honest, I also felt the same way as you originally (being also a jaded old Magic player!), and fought against the decision during the design phase with Wizards. However they were adamant that the Live arena must not be dominated by players with the sort of mindsets that dominate the Pro tour. They wanted all players to have the fun of adding unlocked cards to their decks, without the ability to create killer decks that upset the balance online.

As Wizards of the Coast do seem to know a thing or two about Magic, let’s face it, they’re probably right!"

I am sorry that this game did not meat your lofty expectation but everything that you ask to be include in this game is what it is not suppose to be. You keep saying it's a bad game yet you give no reason why it's a bad game. It's full feature, the on-line part work, it got good graphics, the control is a big clunky but once you adjust to playing card game on a TV then it's become natural.

As for multiplayer, you play against AI decks in co-op mode if you are on the same Xbox 360. The game also provide 4 players on-line game and host of other features. It even include the "puzzle" mode where you try to figure out how to win a game in a given scenarior. For $10.00 I think the game is feature rich and a lot more than I expected. There's card to unlock, deck to unlock, ranking, there are far worst game than this that cost a lot more on XBLA.

mysticD said:
@twestern

This is far from a bad game. I am not sure what was you expectation for it was but it's definitely a lot for an XBLA game. Here is what the designers said was the reasoning behind the restriction on deck building and cards

"Yes, you hit the nail on the head when you suggest that the lack of card removal was for reasons of deck balance. To be honest, I also felt the same way as you originally (being also a jaded old Magic player!), and fought against the decision during the design phase with Wizards. However they were adamant that the Live arena must not be dominated by players with the sort of mindsets that dominate the Pro tour. They wanted all players to have the fun of adding unlocked cards to their decks, without the ability to create killer decks that upset the balance online.

As Wizards of the Coast do seem to know a thing or two about Magic, let’s face it, they’re probably right!"

I am sorry that this game did not meat your lofty expectation but everything that you ask to be include in this game is what it is not suppose to be. You keep saying it's a bad game yet you give no reason why it's a bad game. It's full feature, the on-line part work, it got good graphics, the control is a big clunky but once you adjust to playing card game on a TV then it's become natural.

As for multiplayer, you play against AI decks in co-op mode if you are on the same Xbox 360. The game also provide 4 players on-line game and host of other features. It even include the "puzzle" mode where you try to figure out how to win a game in a given scenarior. For $10.00 I think the game is feature rich and a lot more than I expected. There's card to unlock, deck to unlock, ranking, there are far worst game than this that cost a lot more on XBLA.

i completely agree with this.  only complaint I had (which i stated earlier) is the fact that you can't play 2 head snake mode online unless you and your friend are on the same xbox.  Other than that i think this game is a blast.  Definetly worth the 10 bucks

Around the Network

Sad that it sucks. I still have way too many magic cards...

JPL78 said:

twestern, well I respect your opinion and agree in part but I think you need to realize "it's a bad game" is an opinion. Several people, including me like it a lot. That doesn't mean we are noobs or haven't played since 1995, it just means we accept it for what it is. Super streamlined arcade-like magic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to play competitively.

You glossed over my point that they could patch it. Dungeon crawlers and card games are known for being constantly patched and fixed as the players demand. We don't know for sure that will happen but it could. Even a full fledged deck builder is a definite possibility. Who knows, give it time :)

edit: also magic was always based in luck of the draw.  But its not all luck, even in this version.  You still have to know the strategies to win.  If you make mistakes you will lose.  You have to know what to bring out when, what to enchant, when to attack, when not to attack, when to defend, how much mana to leave open in case you need it, etc. etc.

It will always involve luck but even in a simplistic version of the game like this you have to actually know how to play and not make mistakes.

All cards game are based on luck.  Yes deck construction help but it's still luck.   I don't know why everyone is so hang up on this deck construction aspect of Magic.   What going to happen you will always have that meta game decks will always be the same you will just get a few competive deck.  ie all decks will be the same .. that's what happen in all card games you will have one or two deck that are dominating and everyone will make the same decks.

FaRmLaNd said:
Sad that it sucks. I still have way too many magic cards...

This is why people should not allow to make thread title game X = suck or game X = bad.  Did you at least not read the thread to see the pro and con? ....

mysticD said:
JPL78 said:

twestern, well I respect your opinion and agree in part but I think you need to realize "it's a bad game" is an opinion. Several people, including me like it a lot. That doesn't mean we are noobs or haven't played since 1995, it just means we accept it for what it is. Super streamlined arcade-like magic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to play competitively.

You glossed over my point that they could patch it. Dungeon crawlers and card games are known for being constantly patched and fixed as the players demand. We don't know for sure that will happen but it could. Even a full fledged deck builder is a definite possibility. Who knows, give it time :)

edit: also magic was always based in luck of the draw.  But its not all luck, even in this version.  You still have to know the strategies to win.  If you make mistakes you will lose.  You have to know what to bring out when, what to enchant, when to attack, when not to attack, when to defend, how much mana to leave open in case you need it, etc. etc.

It will always involve luck but even in a simplistic version of the game like this you have to actually know how to play and not make mistakes.

All cards game are based on luck.  Yes deck construction help but it's still luck.   I don't know why everyone is so hang up on this deck construction aspect of Magic.   What going to happen you will always have that meta game decks will always be the same you will just get a few competive deck.  ie all decks will be the same .. that's what happen in all card games you will have one or two deck that are dominating and everyone will make the same decks.

Yes, even tournament decks are based on luck but you by building your deck smart, you can augment that luck to work in your favor.  In the XBL game, you just can't.  You get a good card and you can only add it to your deck and make it bigger making it harder to get all your good cards.  It's a shitty system.

I know you don't see why people hung up on the lack of deck construction but I don't see why you're so quick to defend it.  I know they make excuses for it but that still doesn't make it good.  They control what cards are in the game and that is how they balance it, not by giving you bad decks and only allowing you to add to them.

One of the fun things for *many* people that play game isn't just playing the cards, it's building the decks and playing the mind games.  They got rid of both of those.  Just playing the cards is probably my least favorite of those three things.  There's a lot of thought that can go into building a deck and that's awesome.  That is completely out.

There's also that game of psyching out your opponent and that's out too.  You can't leave certain mana open and your opponent just knows whether or not you actually have anything you can play.  It sucks.

Face it, it's just a really bad system.

I know you like it, but there are people out there that like bad games.  There's nothing wrong with that.

mrstickball said:
Should of bought Culdcept Saga.

Yeah thats a great card game. .