By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - do u think the "PLAYSTATION 3" will have a better library than the "PS2"?

when its all said and done do u think the ps3 will have a better library of games than the ps2, that could be really tough i think their were so many good to great games for the system. plus the ps2 had a ton of rpg's to play as well, and going to their 3rd year so far and the ps3 doesnt have hardly any of them ( this fact for me will way on my decision done the road on wether the ps3 can overtake the ps2's library ). the ps3 does have a good amount of good to great games already early in its life span, which is a good sign i think. but as of right now, i will say no.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

No, not possible.

No console this gen will beat the PS2 library.

the PS2's library was godlike.. Won't happen.

I think the PS3 and 360 have excellent libraries, but they would need to pull off some HUGE games all at the same time to beat the PS2s library.

That would be tough but it's possible. I love the PS2 as much as anyone but I'm not going to act like it's invinicble and can't possibly be topped.

Around the Network

IMPOSSIBLE.

THe PS2 also had troubles at start: I remember not having many good games to play until the second or third year. On the RPG front, the PS2 had troubles living up to the PSone legacy, and, IMHO, it did not reach it until Atlus brought its games over here.

Anyway, will it have a larger library? No, because the PS2 was the dominant console of its generation. But it's undeniable that the PS2 had large quantities of shovelware in its library, and not so for the PS3 (at least until now).

While it will not have the larger library, it should at least have a more consistent library (the average quality of the games should be higher) and I'll go as far as saying that the PS3's best games will top the PS2's.

The situation we have here, is that the PS3 has a lot more horsepower than the PS2. Of course, it will render much more amazing worlds and experiences. I only expect the stuff that's created for the PS3 to get better and better. At the same, time, all of this potential comes at a price. The user base is smaller, and development for the platform is much more expensive. What this means is that there will be a lack of risk taking on the PS3.

But then again, I just thought of the PSN. If you include games like Flower, the Pixel Junk games, or Super Stardust HD, then the potential for a well rounded and amazing lineup definitely there.

In closing, I admit: I'm not very decisive at all.

do you mean the Playstation 3, or the "PLAYSTATION 3"?

I know this may make me look like a jerk, but it should be considered more especially by people like me who like classic PS titles.

PS3 60GB = PS1 games + PS2 games + PS3 games

So it's in my opinion the 60GB PS3 has the best selection of games. If you are talking specifically then no, the PS2 has and will have the greatest library at the end of the day. The PS3's will end up great, but the PS2's was something else..