By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm opening a Gamers Center!!!

Gooday!

Im opening a gamers center and I would like to know some recomendations about what games to put at startup and if someone happens to know, were could I get the permits to use consoles in such a business? 

Around the Network

hmm, im not sure this is the best place to ask such a thing, but for 360 it's ofcourse halo 3, for the Wii it would be MP3, and well for the ps3.. euhm..hmm..err, blu-ray movie?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
hmm, im not sure this is the best place to ask such a thing, but for 360 it's ofcourse halo 3, for the Wii it would be MP3, and well for the ps3.. euhm..hmm..err, blu-ray movie?

Nice misleading and unnecessary PS3 slandering Neos.

@chipistronkin- If you really have to ask these sort of questions, you might be in the wrong line of business.

Dallinor said:
Neos said:

Nice misleading and unnecessary PS3 slandering Neos.

@chipistronkin- If you really have to ask these sort of questions, you might be in the wrong line of business.

it doesn't mean he is in the wrong business, it just means tha

1) he is doing market reserach

2) he has a long way to go before he even opens it, since he has no clue how to get rights to renting out the consoles/games

I personally don't have a clue and i don't think anyone else here knows either 

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I know a friend that owned a comic/gaming shop for a while and you're in for a rough ride. It's a fun job for the most part and you'll make some awesome friends, but just know that those places rarely survive. After a very long run, my friends place finally died a long painful death that would make cancer patient cry. Just be careful with your money.

Now that we got that out of the way, you want several things:
1) A place for table top gaming like Warhammer. You don't necessarily have to sell much of those, maybe some painting supplies and the likes, but just have a space. Let people bring stuff in and maybe even store (have a locked room or some place you can even display their locales). This will be bring in fairly loyal customers who will eventually buy very expensive things if you have them.

2) Have an area with tables set up. On these, let people play games like M:tG, Dungeons and Dragons, board games, or anything else. Most importantly, don't charge for this space. If you charge, they won't come. If you don't, they will come and hang and spend money. Cater to these people and stock what they want and they will bring in a decent cash flow.

3) Have decent computers if you have the money. Put great lan games like CS, TF, BF, Warcraft, Starcraft, and whatever else people play over LAN (I haven't played LAN games in years). Just make sure to keep these fairly up to date.

4) Have a decent TV with your gaming consoles, don't skimp here. You can build a cheap computer that run a lot of game and nobody will notice, but you should have a nice TV.

5) Have at least one 360 and make sure it's connected to Live. Have games like Halo 3, Guitar Hero 2 (Rock Band soon), and Gears of War and it will do good.

6) Have a Wii. This is the kind of place Wii's were made for. Just pick any *good* multiplayer game (not Metroid Prime 3) and you're set.

7) Have a good pricing policy for your consoles and computers and stick to it. Don't be a jerk, but enforce your pay by the hour or day or whatever you plan to do.

8) Have a security system. This sounds like a no brainer but lots of people miss it. Have cameras in your store (and actually turn and keep them on) and have alarms set up. People will try to steal kids M:tG decks and people will try to break into your store.

9) Be in a big enough city to support your store and find a good location that can be scene.  The closer you are to a school or WalMart, the better you are.  If you're in some little dump of a strip mall, you'll go out of busniess.

10) I have no idea what you officially need to play those games, my friend just supplied the system and games.  I have no idea if it was legal or not but that's what he did.  Are there any similar places in your area?  Ask them.

Around the Network

Open a gaming center for PC's
Avoid valve games since they usually charge a monthly fee/pc
Battlefield 2 and Warcraft will draw in a lot of the crowds.
Or you can go in for the MMORPG approach. WOW, EverQuest, City Of Heroes etc ..

I dont think you will have to worry about console games licensing in PuertoRico.

Wii will draw a lot of the crowd considering the motion controls. Organize Wii Sports tournaments .

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

I know some guys that own a PC cafe here in New Orleans. They're very friendly, and I'm sure if you posted on their forums or e-mailed them, they'd be glad to give you some info on how to start your own.

Check them out:

http://www.dibbz.net/

twesterm said:

I know a friend that owned a comic/gaming shop for a while and you're in for a rough ride. It's a fun job for the most part and you'll make some awesome friends, but just know that those places rarely survive. After a very long run, my friends place finally died a long painful death that would make cancer patient cry. Just be careful with your money.

Now that we got that out of the way, you want several things:
1) A place for table top gaming like Warhammer. You don't necessarily have to sell much of those, maybe some painting supplies and the likes, but just have a space. Let people bring stuff in and maybe even store (have a locked room or some place you can even display their locales). This will be bring in fairly loyal customers who will eventually buy very expensive things if you have them.

2) Have an area with tables set up. On these, let people play games like M:tG, Dungeons and Dragons, board games, or anything else. Most importantly, don't charge for this space. If you charge, they won't come. If you don't, they will come and hang and spend money. Cater to these people and stock what they want and they will bring in a decent cash flow.

3) Have decent computers if you have the money. Put great lan games like CS, TF, BF, Warcraft, Starcraft, and whatever else people play over LAN (I haven't played LAN games in years). Just make sure to keep these fairly up to date.

4) Have a decent TV with your gaming consoles, don't skimp here. You can build a cheap computer that run a lot of game and nobody will notice, but you should have a nice TV.

5) Have at least one 360 and make sure it's connected to Live. Have games like Halo 3, Guitar Hero 2 (Rock Band soon), and Gears of War and it will do good.

6) Have a Wii. This is the kind of place Wii's were made for. Just pick any *good* multiplayer game (not Metroid Prime 3) and you're set.

7) Have a good pricing policy for your consoles and computers and stick to it. Don't be a jerk, but enforce your pay by the hour or day or whatever you plan to do.

8) Have a security system. This sounds like a no brainer but lots of people miss it. Have cameras in your store (and actually turn and keep them on) and have alarms set up. People will try to steal kids M:tG decks and people will try to break into your store.

9) Be in a big enough city to support your store and find a good location that can be scene. The closer you are to a school or WalMart, the better you are. If you're in some little dump of a strip mall, you'll go out of busniess.

10) I have no idea what you officially need to play those games, my friend just supplied the system and games. I have no idea if it was legal or not but that's what he did. Are there any similar places in your area? Ask them.

Yeah, they do have a rough life.  The one near me evenually abandoned consoles entirely and went strictly PCs, with a pool table. They still ahve some big screen TVs which they'll let people hook their own consoles to for $5 for some all-night multiplayer action.

^^ Yeah I used to hang in one of those places quite a lot years ago, playing Magic or videogames and talking to other games was really fun, plus the owner was a cool guy who would play with us a lot, everything twesterm sayed is very very (emphasis not typo) advice, point 8) really does sound like a no brainer but you would be shocked to know how many kids (expecially the little ones) tryed to steal stuff... unfortunatly that store died a long horrible death as well but it had a really bad location and not enough room, I know room is expencive but you really need it, if you want to do stuff like have Lan or Wii turnaments you will need that room, you could do stuff like have an extra space for events like a Wii tennis championship or a Warcraft/Starcraft/CS day.

Good luck with that :) 

If you need legal help maybe you could call companies (MS/Nin/So/Blizzard...) directly or go to on of these shop in another town. 

Have ps3 demo's not actual games, same for the xbox 360 and the wii.

mM