By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Now before I write I'll tell you I still like JRPG's, but WRPG's over the last 4-5 years have killed them.

WRPG's have become so good a storytelling compared to the weak stories and storytelling of JRPG's. Mass Effect for instance is so far ahead of any JRPG in story telling it's almost painful.
I guess some people like and will always like rehashed 17 year old kid saving the world from powerful sorcerer in JRPG's. But now I'm older (26) I cant be arsed with it. Maybe thats why I'm not to thrilled for FF13, it's just another teenage kill the sorcerer fest.

The only game that deviates from normal JRPG's is Lost Odyssey, Perhaps why it's one of the best I ever played. Their is a teenage kid as a hero and the hero is believable. Also the actual storytelling is not cheesy and is actualy on a far better level than any other JRPG. It's more western in it's storytelling I suppose.

But at the moment

WRPG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JRPG. Mass Effects fault mainly.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

JRPG's arent typically RPG's. Take away the battle system from JRPG's and they are as typical as a simple action-adventure game. 'Nough said.

And if you take away jumping from a platformer, they would no longer be platformers.

You cannot just simply “take away” one of the most, if not the most, important elements of a game.

gebx said:
@Citan

Fallout 3, WoW, Oblivion vs. Final Fantasy VI, Xenosaga, Xenogears, Suikoden 2, Chrono Trigger

yeah I can see why you think JRPG's are much better, your comparing some of the best JRPG's to decent WRPG's. Try Kotor, Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, and than come back and make a comparison.

.....favorite?

selnor said:
Now before I write I'll tell you I still like JRPG's, but WRPG's over the last 4-5 years have killed them.

WRPG's have become so good a storytelling compared to the weak stories and storytelling of JRPG's. Mass Effect for instance is so far ahead of any JRPG in story telling it's almost painful.
I guess some people like and will always like rehashed 17 year old kid saving the world from powerful sorcerer in JRPG's. But now I'm older (26) I cant be arsed with it. Maybe thats why I'm not to thrilled for FF13, it's just another teenage kill the sorcerer fest.

The only game that deviates from normal JRPG's is Lost Odyssey, Perhaps why it's one of the best I ever played. Their is a teenage kid as a hero and the hero is believable. Also the actual storytelling is not cheesy and is actualy on a far better level than any other JRPG. It's more western in it's storytelling I suppose.

But at the moment

WRPG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JRPG. Mass Effects fault mainly.

Xenosaga mixes a story out of:

Robots, Science Fiction, 12-year old girls in swimsuits, Drama, action, comedy, sex, philosophy, love, hate, friendship and intertekstual references to Friedrich Nietzsche`s subjects, Carl Gustav Jung`s Analytical psychology, The Bibel, Jewish religion, German history and novels, Anime.

Did you mention anything about story-telling?

pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

JRPG's arent typically RPG's. Take away the battle system from JRPG's and they are as typical as a simple action-adventure game. 'Nough said.

And if you take away jumping from a platformer, they would no longer be platformers.

You cannot just simply “take away” one of the most, if not the most, important elements of a game.

@S.T.A.G.E

If you take away the battle system, they would be adventure games like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

@S.T.A.G.E

If you take away the battle system, they would be adventure games like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

That just reminded me of something;

Take moving away from FPS's and you get... yup, you guessed it, rail shooters :D

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

My point is that most JRPG's do not exemplify what an RPG is. The only thing they have going for them is the battle system which isn't enough to save it's credibility.

Son1x said:
Riachu said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

@S.T.A.G.E

That just reminded me of something;

Take moving away from FPS's and you get... yup, you guessed it, rail shooters :D

Are you talking about Sega FPS games or typical FPS where you can see the players hands? If you couldn't move while seeing your players hands and gun, then the game will end up playing retarded. Moving is in no way equal to taking away a battle system.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

My point is that most JRPG's do not exemplify what an RPG is. The only thing they have going for them is the battle system which isn't enough to save it's credibility.

I totally agree, but the definition of rpg isn`t the subject. Or do you have another name for what genre Final Fantasy is?

No comparison between the two game types.

JRPG is not an RPG but inherits the name from some form of inhertence of Ultima. JRPG do not have more "soul". What they have is a very well narrative story to pull the reader *cough* I mean player along. JRPG are not better or worse than a WRPG at all. They are just very different.

WRPG on the other hand owe there legacy to mostly D&D the pen and paper version. Not Ultima computer version of D&D. Typiclly WRPG are more free form letting the player handle situations with character choice rather than being pulled in a purely linear story.

Essentially when it comes down to gameplay once is about only a combat simulator driven by story the other is combat simulator with player choice how to enter or avoid.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.