By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic is Showing a Wii Bit More Balance of Late

You can't really prove a point by cherrypicking a bunch of examples, although I suppose you can try. If you remember grade school math, you should know that calculating a mean or average is usually the best measure of central tendency, UNLESS there are exceptional outliers. The main reason the PS3 and 360 averages have fallen lately is that summer time is usually the time of crappy licensed games. See: Terminator Salvation, Leisure Suit Larry, Wheelman, Watchmen, etc.

The Wii has these types of games in bulk too, but unfortunately, the developers who made mediocre videogame versions of mediocre movies decided to make them HD exclusive. Hopefully they'll learn when they have quarterly losses of millions again. If they're going to make crappy games, they should at least put them on all platforms.

As I see it, the complete rather than recent ratings are still far more telling.

Around the Network

This is definitely a great sign. And it shows that we've been seeing some real quality titles as of late.

However, to play devil's advocate, the holiday season probably undoes this whole thing. That's when a lot of the devs release their AAA titles as well as the junk to capitalize on the mainstream market for the wii.

Still, this is a huge step forward.

MontanaHatchet said:
You can't really prove a point by cherrypicking a bunch of examples, although I suppose you can try. If you remember grade school math, you should know that calculating a mean or average is usually the best measure of central tendency, UNLESS there are exceptional outliers. The main reason the PS3 and 360 averages have fallen lately is that summer time is usually the time of crappy licensed games. See: Terminator Salvation, Leisure Suit Larry, Wheelman, Watchmen, etc.

The Wii has these types of games in bulk too, but unfortunately, the developers who made mediocre videogame versions of mediocre movies decided to make them HD exclusive. Hopefully they'll learn when they have quarterly losses of millions again. If they're going to make crappy games, they should at least put them on all platforms.

As I see it, the complete rather than recent ratings are still far more telling.

Taking a current COMPLETE Metacritic List which covers all games since the first of March (unless your summer starts very early) is NOT cherry picking. Nor is criticizing the fact that it didn't include every game ever written, since the clear intent of the article was to show change and improvement. I freely admitted in the first sentence that things used to be dismal.

I also admitted that the average was impacted by whatever games of whatever quality that were published, including ones that never should have been. But it is disingenuous to pretend that this in some way benefitted the Wii. It is the console that has attracted far more than its share of crapware.

My only point is that there is a very near equality in average Metacritic scores over the games of the last 3 1/2 months and that the Wii has competed well in games that were released on all three. Those are true and I think valid points.

To dismiss it as a summer thing and cherry picking is, in my opinion, borderline trolling, and not the quality of input I have always respected you for.

Grampy said:
theprof00 said:
 Squilliam said:
^Actually more scores shouldn't lower the reviews because they should fall within your normal range for a game anyway.

more scores would lower the score because the first reviewers are generally favorable ones that get sneek peeks due to closeness of ties with the parent console. THe later ones are generally ones that are closer to the average score. In any given sample range, 10 samples is a necessary minimum, to offset for such effects as ordering that we see here.

In most cases the first will be higher than the average, but sometimes it is lower.

Anyways, this is good news for wii. Hopefully game devs will keep this up.

Is this due to those sports games coming out? This looks like one area in which motion controls would indeed help the ps360.

I personally would call it a very diverse and balanced list. That and a minimum of absolute turkeys.

GAMES SCORING 75 OR BETTER

Tiger  Woods
The Munchables
EA Sports Active
Boom Blox Bash Party
Punch Out
Klonoa
NPC Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
NPC Pikmin2
Excitebots
Guitar Hero: Metallica
Rune Factory: Frontier
PES 2009
Mad World
NPC Pikmin

WiiWare
 Swords & Soldiers
Bubble Bobbie Plus
Bonsai  Barber
Bit Trip Beat

GAMES SCORING 50 OR LESS
Ready 2 Rumble Revolution
Major Minor's Majestic March

What I meant was that the averages were very close, and those two games accounted for 16 points, or roughly .5 difference in average due to the playstyle. However, now that I look at the list, I already know that several of those were in the upper 80's, and I also know that ps360 didn't much in terms of games recently.

student said:
This is definitely a great sign. And it shows that we've been seeing some real quality titles as of late.

However, to play devil's advocate, the holiday season probably undoes this whole thing. That's when a lot of the devs release their AAA titles as well as the junk to capitalize on the mainstream market for the wii.

Still, this is a huge step forward.

The Metacritic "What's new" list covers the period of March 3 to present for the PS3 and XBox 360 and Feb. 24 to present on the Wii so it actually represents the post holiday - pre summer  period.

Around the Network

That makes no sense.. did you get the highest rated, and then lowest rated, and then divide by 30......

mM
Squilliam said:
Soriku said:

That's probably largely due to the not so great controls. Worse graphics just makes it worse.

But now with WM+ out, that should change.

Do you wanna play with my M+ attachment?

Zing!

There are 88 wii games rated over 75..

152 PLAYSTATION 3 games rated over 75

and 243 XBOX 360 games rated over 75

how did you manage to get the Wii to obtain a higher average??

It also has the lowest amount of AAA rated games of the 3 "by far".

mM

The lowest scoring wii game has an 18 not a 36......................

mM

@Joel

He used the "new and upcoming" games list, not the total list. This is an analysis of trend change, not overall quality.

PS: why the hell do you now have -56k VG$??!?!?