By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I don't understand the complaints about H3 graphics

DonWii said:
Simple: People expected more.

Personally, I think Halo 3 looks better than Gears of War, but that could just be because I prefer games with colors other than gray.

Amen, I never did think Gears of War's graphics were that great. I thought I was the only one, thankfully, I'm not. The game was pretty good, the graphics - meh...

Around the Network

I don't think the Halo 3 graphics are out of this world. They're good, but I was expecting better. Then OXM Magazine said something about there being an improvement from the Beta - that was bull. I love the game though!

twesterm said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
again comes to preference, halo is is gorgous to my eyes, the lighting and color is drop dead gorgous sometimes, and on MULTIPLAYER!

I completely agree that a lot of this is opinion and the lighting is great outside, but play through the game and really look at the inside areas.  They are boring as all Hell.  They don't necessarily look bad, just they are boring.  If they would have taken the same care with the inside areas as they took with the outside areas I think the game would have really benefited from it.

As for the multiplayer areas, the same thing goes for them.  Outside the game is beautiful, inside it's boring.

yea, thankfully, you send most of your time outside on mult, or in more larger areas with better lighting then some of the more dull. In some areas i agree they could of done better.... but some are stll pretty good looking in my book

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
twesterm said:
Hawk said:
twesterm said:
Hawk said:
Ya know, I got bored with Quake 4 though. It became a chore playing the game. I'd force myself to play so that I could finish it and be done with it. But I finally decided that's stupid, a game is for fun. I traded it in. Does Quake 4 have better graphics. Sure. But Halo sure has gorgeous graphics still. And I'm with DonWii and Androo. Color is so much better! I like the vibrant colors as opposed to dark colors and shadow. And what happened to gameplay being the true factor of a better game?

I completely agree that Halo 3 is the better game, in fact I thought I had said that Quake 4 wasn't that good of a game in one of my above posts. I wasn't comparing gameplay or creatures, I was just showing what interesting walls, floors, and ceilings through clever texture use and shapes can do for a space.

You did say Quake 4 wasn't that great of a game, that is true. And Halo 3 could have been better with the enviorment design, you are right. But it wouldn't make the game anymore fun to me than it is right now.

Now here's where I disagree with you. Think of the feeling you get while you're walking through the outside jungle type of areas in Halo 3. It's awesome right? Why does it feel so good? Because they put a lot of attention into the atmosphere and making that place feel like an actual place. Doing that bring you into the game and just enhances it that much more.

With the inside areas, they did a fine job of giving the player cover areas and things to maneuver around but it doesn't feel like a place. Every place looks exactly the same and you can tell that every object was placed just for cover or tactical advantage and not because it just should be there. This makes the area confusing (since every place looks the same) and feel very unnatural (and not in it's a man-made thing so it should feel unnatural way but in a this place would never exist like this type of way).

When the space you're playing in feels like an actual place, it brings you into the game more and would just enhance the already good gameplay that Halo 3 has even more.

Yeah, we just have different personal tastes. I highly enjoy Halo 3 and the more detailed environment wouldn't make it funner for me.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Androo said:
DonWii said:

Personally, I think Halo 3 looks better than Gears of War, but that could just be because I prefer games with colors other than gray.

A gamer with sense; finally!

But I think Killzone 2 is the best example of boredom and dull looking. Are the KZ developers colour-blind or something?

It's all in the lighting!!! Gears was a dark game, KZ is a dark game. Walk outside tonight and I bet you will see dull colors. See the brown in the Q4 pics? It's all in the lighting. 

So what do you win if your prefered console sells more than another?

Around the Network
Zero Hero said:
Androo said:
DonWii said:

A gamer with sense; finally!

But I think Killzone 2 is the best example of boredom and dull looking. Are the KZ developers colour-blind or something?

It's all in the lighting!!! Gears was a dark game, KZ is a dark game. Walk outside tonight and I bet you will see dull colors. See the brown in the Q4 pics? It's all in the lighting. 

Not to give you a hard time or anything Zero Hero.  But whats your point?  Low lighting makes dark colors and gray.  Doesn't change what our eyes see if what they technically did to make us see gray was low lighting.  Though I guarantee you, that if you'd increase the lighting in Gears of War, there are still not vibrant or a large spectrum of colors in it.

Note:  I love Gears of War by the way

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Yup, nor do I. I made a thread about this recently. Halo 3 graphics are absolutely phenomenal in my books. Best ever.

i think the game looks fine as it is. It may not be retina melting stuff like gears of war or unreal tournament 3 but its one thing this game has that the others dont, and its what the bungie was shooting for, is the addicting gameplay. No doubt, people are gonna be playing this well into the next 4-5 years, and i think that counts a hundred times more than NON-TRUE HD graphics, if thats even a term lol :P

okay guys i have a question, i have a toshiba 42HL167, its an amzing tv, gears looks down right sexy, i also have an elite with the hdmi in the back of my tv, i was wondering, is everyone getting jaggies, like a very non anti-alaising affect, it places its jsut soooo jaggy, is that me or is that the game, i mean at time i think the graphics are awesome, but at others im questioning it. I love 360 i have all, its my favorte halo 3 is my favorite, i jsut would like some explaination on the jaggies.

Freedom isn't free.

Play360ii

For those that have played Halo3, how about that lighting? Absolutely fantastic! Unfortunately, screenshots don't do it justice.

Wii Friend Code - 8899 3885 0924 4281

XBOX LIVE - miasma42

Currently Playing..... Gears of War2, Tiger Woods Wii