By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii and 360 have already peaked in yearly sales

Tallgeese101 said:
Esmoreit said:
The one argument I never get is the "PS3 has more room to cut price". Why is this? Because they are the least close to the $0? Room here is dependent not just on absolutes mate. I'd say giving financial resources the PS3 has the least room to cut the price.

Eventually the cost of making the PS3 will be comparable to how much the PS2 costs to make today.  The real question is will it still be relevent when it can be sold at a low price.

That is what I mean and should have included. True, 25 years from now you can probably pick up PS3-like technology for $10
or so but, des it still matter then?

This is also how the "Ten-year-plan" is biting Sony. Making it future proof left virtually no wiggle-room during the years that it matters. PS2 technology could take price drops more easily then the PS3 technology can. It took PS2 about 8 years to drop to $100 where it started at... 400 I believe? If sony keeps it losses respectable it should take the PS3 a lot more years to reach that $100 price tag.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Around the Network
kylohk said:
Well, FFXIII and GT5 will help the PS3 the same way RE4 and LoZ:TP "helped" the Gamecube.

harsh

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

rafichamp said:
People dont forget that Nintendo is only making $6 profits per Wii, dropping the price could harm Nintendo because of it.

and Sony can drop the price by $50 or $100 because they are making a killing profit per console on PS3? I'm not sure I get your point.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Esmoreit said:
The one argument I never get is the "PS3 has more room to cut price". Why is this? Because they are the least close to the $0? Room here is dependent not just on absolutes mate. I'd say giving financial resources the PS3 has the least room to cut the price.

The wii then still has not shot off it's wads too soon, seeing as the 3rd party exclusives are just now rolling of the lines and Nintendo is working hard to get SMG2, Metroid, Zelda, NSMB and Pikmin 3 on the retailshelves.

As for the X360, well.. I wouldn't be surprised if MS' consoles ended up at $100 the soonest and fly away again like it did late 2008.

One of the things that I am surprised gets over looked when some people expect PS3 to eventually follow the track of PS2 is just how much older the DVD technology was in 2000 than Bluray was in 2006. DVD was 5 years old when PS2 shipped, while Bluray players and ROM both came out the same year as PS3. This means it is going to be a very long time till those parts get uber cheap.

The same can be said of many other components when comparing PS3 to PS2; PS3 is going to have to wait a long time before those components become inexpensive enough to allow a PS2 style pricing scheme.

Gilgamesh said:

I think the X360 will probably peak this year, if not then definitely in 2008. (remember everyone it's been out a  year longer then the Wii and PS3)

The Wii seems to have peaked in Japan and sales are not looking good in America, but the Wii is currently selling 800K more then it did last year so I think it'll sell more this year but will probably peak. It's hard to say what Natal and PS Wand will do to Wii sales next year.

And I agree that the PS3 has not peaked yet and I dought it'll peak this year, probably next year. We'll probably see a small price cut at the end of the year, then Sony still has the Slim and those Big AAA exlusives. So it'll likely peak next year or the year after that (It'll hopefully be near $200 in 2011)

And the Wii's sales have been without the boost of Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

If sales seem low for any reason they can easily give a $50 price cut, and I can see a $275-$300 WM+ bundle for the holidays, with both Wii Sports titles, two WiiMotes and two WM+ accessories.

Around the Network
saicho said:
rafichamp said:
People dont forget that Nintendo is only making $6 profits per Wii, dropping the price could harm Nintendo because of it.

and Sony can drop the price by $50 or $100 because they are making a killing profit per console on PS3? I'm not sure I get your point.

I'm pretty sure the $6 figure is well out of date. The Wii was supposedly selling at or near a profit when it launched 2+ years ago.

With all the Wii's sold, and the money that has been and continues to line Nintendo's coffers, it is clearly the one that has the most "room" for a price cut.

I think Wii will peak in 2010, possibly a price cut, and so many amazing games.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Isn't the ps3 selling about the same every year but sell worse than the ps2. i'm not sure I forgot where I foud that.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

It's selling less every year.

Gilgamesh said:

I think the X360 will probably peak this year, if not then definitely in 2008. (remember everyone it's been out a  year longer then the Wii and PS3)

The bolded statement here has never made any sense to me. Why on earth would consumers look at the xbox as 'older' than the other consoles this generation? It's a current generation console, with current generation games. How is it that it having been out a year longer will make the consumers less likely to buy it? I simply cannot see that being important at all.

This is invisible text!