By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii and 360 have already peaked in yearly sales

Wii and 360 have already peaked in yearly sales- 2008 was their peak year. Wii and 360 have played most of the exclusive games early on.PS3 has more room for price cuts and will continue to grow in regards to yearly sales. PS3 has more exclusive games yet to be released and blow the competition away in console sales wars.

Wii peaked with 24 million console sales in 2008. 360 peaked with 11 million console sales in 2008. Both are priced significantly lower than PS3.

Does anyone well have this strange feeling about their systems may have peaked early on in their second and third years respectively. The console wars positions will not change but they could of reached their highest sales in a year already. In a way it is good that the systems wars ends up closer in regards to market shares. Competition is always a good thing.

Around the Network

Wii still hasn't had new colors or a price cut, when it does it will sell even better.
(>'.')>

i think every console has reached its peak sales. I think we will just see a decline.. A price cut will only make a temporary increase

Funny, I didn't know the PS3 had "room" for a price cut. A price cut this year would actually cut themselves. So I wouldn't call that "room".

I think were in a recession. That's what is holding Wii sales back.

Price drop / Coloured Wiimotes / WSR and WF+ and 2 MARIO GAMES. These are all reasons why this peak, we percieve, is purely an economic problem generally, not a Wii sales problem specifically and those factors ranging from price to WSR will prove this by next yr.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

I think the X360 will probably peak this year, if not then definitely in 2008. (remember everyone it's been out a  year longer then the Wii and PS3)

The Wii seems to have peaked in Japan and sales are not looking good in America, but the Wii is currently selling 800K more then it did last year so I think it'll sell more this year but will probably peak. It's hard to say what Natal and PS Wand will do to Wii sales next year.

And I agree that the PS3 has not peaked yet and I dought it'll peak this year, probably next year. We'll probably see a small price cut at the end of the year, then Sony still has the Slim and those Big AAA exlusives. So it'll likely peak next year or the year after that (It'll hopefully be near $200 in 2011)

no...the 360 and wii have exclusives both third and first party coming as well, not just the PS3. i dont think any of the three systems have peaked in yearly sales, but it is obvious that sales are slowing. yet i wouldnt call the systems "peaked". 

"PS3 has more room for price cuts and will continue to grow in regards to yearly sales."

Well they need to start doing so this year. It is down YoY by 40% in NA.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Given the likely re-launch of the 360 when NATAL ships, I think we may see a down year this year, then have it re-emerge next year with strong numbers.

The Wii hasn't had one price cut yet. Lets talk when the Wii is $149-$199 for 6 months or more.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Wii has only sold 6.5 million in first 5 month of 2009. It will need to sell 17.5million more to match 2008's total of 24 million seems very remote. I expect total of around 14 million more sold in 2009, bringing total to around 20 to 21 million sold in 2009.

360 well it could sell around 10 million systems in 2009 around 1 million less than 2008. 360 has already sold 3 million in first 5 months of 2009 360 could sell around 7 million more systems in 2009, finishing with 10 million in 2009.

PS3 has also sold around 3 million in 2009 in first 5 months.
PS3 well I believe is the wildcard and it could sell anything between 9 to 12million for 2009 all depends on the PS3s price cut in late 2009.

2010 should be the PS3s peak sales year because it will see its mega hits released and FFXIII, GT 5, God of War 3 will all help move PS3s especially at $299. 15 million PS3s sold in 2010 could be its peak sales and successive years will gradually decline in yearly sales.