By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do Developers F-Up PS3 Games?

d21lewis said:
Aside from mandatory installs, I really don't see the downside of PS3 ports. Despite any differences, they're still pretty much the same game on both platforms. I'm from the old school where there were REAL differences between console ports (NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, Earthworm Jim). Even last gen, with the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox, differences in ports were more obvious. Nowadays, the differences are really trivial.

You got a point but OrangeBox was a bad port with gameplay issues ... PS3 deserve better ports.

Around the Network

This was a boring read and made me feel like it was 2007 all over again.

Early games had relatively obsolete game engines. I thought I read somewhere Half-Life 2 ran a bit worse, but Portal was about on par. It's likely Half-Life 2 made very little use of the Cell's SPUs, if at all and probably Portal had a bit more modern game engine.

The PS3 is not that hard to develop for, I think this is evident in the latest multi-platform games and especially for the exclusives.

For many types of games, the Wii is probably harder to develop for as it lacks the horsepower to easily accomplish what is expected in modern games. To offer something impressive, it's not unlikely it takes a lot of optimisation on the Wii, while a quick and dirty port to the PS3 still provides well better end results.

For PC developers the XBox 360 is easiest to develop for as both platforms use Microsoft tools, but cross platform middleware has matured enough on the PS3, so it should be just as easy to create a PC/PS3 game as a PC/360 at this point in most cases. I don't think even the Unreal engine is much of an issue on the PS3 anymore (upon which a large part of the 360 [timed/] exclusives are based on).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
Early games had relatively obsolete game engines. I thought I read somewhere Half-Life 2 ran a bit worse, but Portal was about on par. It's likely Half-Life 2 made very little use of the Cell's SPUs, if at all and probably Portal had a bit more modern game engine.

The PS3 is not that hard to develop for, I think this is evident in the latest multi-platform games and especially for the exclusives.

For many types of games, the Wii is probably harder to develop for as it lacks the horsepower to easily accomplish what is expected in modern games. To offer something impressive, it's not unlikely it takes a lot of optimisation on the Wii, while a quick and dirty port to the PS3 still provides well better end results.

For PC developers the XBox 360 is easiest to develop for as both platforms use Microsoft tools, but cross platform middleware has matured enough on the PS3, so it should be just as easy to create a PC/PS3 game as a PC/360 at this point in most cases. I don't think even the Unreal engine is much of an issue on the PS3 anymore (upon which a large part of the 360 [timed/] exclusives are based on).

Ps3 is hard to develop for , sony admitted to that and actually did it on purpose but...........

Devs have been able to get used to the ps3 and have made some huge improvements over the years , from the 360 being a clear winner in multiplats to both ps3 and 360 versions is a huge improvement over the past 2 years.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

That article gives strange examples of games better of PS3.
I believe differences are mainly due to development leading on 360.

Regardless I've rarely noticed a difference even when its pointed out to me and I dont have a setup to allow side by side comparisons.

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:

http://www.europe-nintendo.com/forums/general-articles-centre/9546-why-do-developers-f-up-ps3-games.html

Why do developers F-up PS3 games?

We've all heard the excuse before; "The PS3 is too difficult to develop for." One thing Sony's Playstation 3 is well-known for is its powerful hardware, which boasts (among other things) a Blu-ray disc format and a Cell Microprocessor as its CPU. For the 90% of you that don't know what all that means, all you need to know is that it is very, very powerful.

Yes, it's been proven that the Blu-ray makes the ps3 very powerful. </sarcasm>

d21lewis said:
Aside from mandatory installs, I really don't see the downside of PS3 ports. Despite any differences, they're still pretty much the same game on both platforms. I'm from the old school where there were REAL differences between console ports (NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, Earthworm Jim). Even last gen, with the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox, differences in ports were more obvious. Nowadays, the differences are really trivial.

Oh, the infamous Mortal Kombat on SNES and Genesis, while the SNES version looked better in graphics, the Genesis version was completely unedited and had all the fatalities, that's a really huge difference... Then MK2 for the SNES came with all the content unedited and left the Genesis inferior graphics in evidence...

Remember the Master System vs NES in multiplatform games?, sometimes the Master System made the NES look like an Atari 2600... And games like Tony Hawk on PS1 and N64, the amazing content on PS1 was crap on N64 (except for the 3D engine)... And those PS1-Saturn 2D games like X-Men vs Street Fighter... that was a huge difference...

Now the complain is what? "there's a little difference in contrast" "where?" "right there in that spot, don't you see it?" "does it modify the overall visuals and the game experience?" "no, but that spot is because of devs having problems with the PS3, it means it's a crappy port"...WTF!!!

@ jesus kung fu magic

Ps3 is hard to develop for , sony admitted to that and actually did it on purpose but...........

It's not hard to develop for at all compared to other multi-processor environments. It was a bad choice of words by the exec, he should have stated the PS3 lacks some conveniences some game engine programmers heavily relied on in the past (with the advantage of being able to provide way more horsepower on a tiny PS3 chip). For the higher level devs using said technology such issues are hidden.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

ymeaga1n said:
forevercloud3000 said:

http://www.europe-nintendo.com/forums/general-articles-centre/9546-why-do-developers-f-up-ps3-games.html

Why do developers F-up PS3 games?

We've all heard the excuse before; "The PS3 is too difficult to develop for." One thing Sony's Playstation 3 is well-known for is its powerful hardware, which boasts (among other things) a Blu-ray disc format and a Cell Microprocessor as its CPU. For the 90% of you that don't know what all that means, all you need to know is that it is very, very powerful.

Yes, it's been proven that the Blu-ray makes the ps3 very powerful.

Well it is blu ray

It's Firing it's Lazah !

Check out my game about moles ^

MikeB said:
@ jesus kung fu magic

It's not hard to develop for at all compared to other multi-processor environments. It was a bad choice of words by the exec, he should have stated the PS3 lacks some conveniences some game engine programmers heavily relied on in the past (with the advantage of being able to provide way more horsepower on a tiny PS3 chip). For the higher level devs using said technology such issues are hidden.

MikeB , those were the words he meant to say because he followed it up by saying we dont want the system to be maxed out soon to keep our ten year plan.

Either way you look at it, sony intentionally made the system harder to develop for.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!