By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2009 NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 PM EST)

May 2009 U.S. Video Game Hardware Sales - NPD-PD version
Daily averages based on the May NPD date range: 5/3/09-5/30/09

Nintendo DS - 22,625 units/day (down 15,894)
Wii - 10,339 units/day (down 2,254)
Xbox 360 - 6,250 units/day (down 231)
PS3 - 4,679 units/day (up 25)
PS2 - 4,179 units/day (down 2,191)
PSP - 3,586 units/day (down 710)

Around the Network

The DSi/ DS splilt was 60/40 %

U.S. consumers purchased nearly 390,000 Nintendo DSi™ systems and nearly 244,000 Nintendo DS systems in May, for a combined total of more than 633,000 hand-helds.

Nintendo Propaganda

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Right now Nintendo actually looks further away from its 26 million consoles sold in 2009-2010 financial year than Sony from its 13 million goal...

Reason being Sony had a terrible Q42008 Q12009 and can improve a lot there while Nintendo had a very good Q42008, Q12009, so any ground lost now compared to the last year is going to be even harder to make back for Nintendo.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Somehow I am starting to doubt seriously that the Wii will ever pass the PS2...

I just can't believe that 6 years from now it still would be selling 120k/month like the PS2 just did...

If you believe NPD numbers the Wii is now tracking same as the PS2 was at a similar time after its launch too, roughly 80k/week.

The Wii is still ahead because it had outperformed the PS2 up to now but that period is now over...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Right now Nintendo actually looks further away from its 26 million consoles sold in 2009-2010 financial year than Sony from its 13 million goal...

Reason being Sony had a terrible Q42008 Q12009 and can improve a lot there while Nintendo had a very good Q42008, Q12009, so any ground lost now compared to the last year is going to be even harder to make back for Nintendo.....

Wrong.  That comparison is just insane.

Sony looks like it will in no way sell 13 milliion without a price cut.  Nintendo had a very top heavy first half with Smash, Mario Kart, and Wii Fit pushing sales last year.  The later half of the year actually looks a lot stronger.  Nintendo will more than make up ground.

Around the Network
Ail said:

I just can't believe that 6 years from now it still would be selling 120k/month like the PS2 just did...

If you believe NPD numbers the Wii is now tracking same as the PS2 was at a similar time after its launch too, roughly 80k/week.

The Wii is still ahead because it had outperformed the PS2 up to now but that period is now over...

Wii aint yet had a pricecut. Wii aint yet had an influx of colours.

Wait until the eventual Wii Pricecut, then we can judge whether or not it shall take PS2s crown.

dolemit3 said:
The Wii sales should be up next month thanks to Wii Sports Resort. The PS3 sales comparison to June 2008 aren't gonna be pretty.

Why will Wii Sports Resort boost sales?  Isnt the core purchase of Wii Sports Resort someone who already bought a Wii for Wii Sports?

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Ail said:

Ail, you just want the Wii to fail so bad it clouds your judgement.

Wii is on pace to shatter the PS2 and it will.  Hell, Nintendo only just started releasing a new color and bundles (in Japan only).  There's so much wiggle room yet to boost sales.  Not to mention software boosts, additional bundles, a price cut, etc. 

How long did it take for the PS2 to have a price cut?

It remains to be seen, Ail. The problem with all of these data tracking firms (VG Chartz included) is that it's largely a shot in the dark. When you're taking a sample group and extrapolating it, it can vastly differ from another sample group. Nobody seems to have a grip on Wal-Mart, where the consumers can have a significantly different spending pattern than at the shops giving their numbers.

Another problem is that having different regions in consideration does not necessarily make the sample 'random'. If you're only taking information from a certain type of store, you can get a demographic of people who behave in similar manners. This means that you can have, for example, a group of extremely hardcore people spread across the nation with very similar spending habits. If you only take the sample from this group, you won't know for sure what the other groups are doing. They could've bought more Wii's, as it were.

Ultimately, this isn't an exact science and the differences between VG Chartz and NPD are a testament to this. We'll just have to wait for the shipment numbers, which is what VG Chartz mostly adjusts to.

The BuShA owns all!

Ail said:

So much fail in that statement, Wii sports resort is just about to come out, a new bundle, and color and hugely popular RPG is about to come out, another Wii fit, and a new 2d mario, and you really thin kthat Wii won't keep outsellign the PS2, lol, at this point in its life, the PS2 was already less than $200, in fact it was dropped to 180 around this time in its life, Wii still has yet to even have one price drop and its still tracking better than the PS2 at $250, lol

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)