By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Natal versus Microsoft's Natal!

At this years E3 Microsoft stunned the world when they announced Natal an interactive Camera/mic that would launch likely fall 2010. But that same day UbiSoft announced Nintendo Wii also had a camera coming out but theirs was set to ship fall 2009 with UbiSoft heading the launch with their new fitness title. UbiSoft said they and Nintendo were hard at work on titles for the new camera. So could Nintendo and Microsoft be set for a major battle next E3 and fall 2010? Also with both companies claiming to have an interactive camera and both announcing their camera's at the same time who copied who and what can we expect from Nintendo?

Natal shown at E3 showed a interactive Camera and Mic. But Nintendo could easily utalize WiiSpeak and the new Camera UbiSoft announced to create an almost identicle experiance. In essence it will be a battle of software, Nintendo could bundle the new camera with WiiSpeak and launch it this fall or next year with almost identicle and just as revolutionary software as Microsoft. This year at E3 Nintendo obviously didn't see the signifigance in their own camera since it never debut at Nintendo's own press conferance. But now that Microsoft revealed Natal Nintendo could easily produce the software required to give gamers an identicle experiance.

So with the camera and WiiSpeak Nintendo could have their own Natal by this fall, with software showing up at next years E3 to counter Microsoft's Natal software. Who will win, we already know Nintendo's camera is probubly cheaper since it's going to be bundled with UbiSoft's new Fitness title. Bundle it with WiiSpeak and your talking an under 50$ Natal from Nintendo. Of course the developers of Natal have had a jump start having shipped external dev kits last week. But UbiSoft has already been hands on with the new Camera for Wii and I'm sure Nintendo has had plenty of time to work on similiar technology as Natal.

UbiSoft claimed that Nintendo's camera will be able to recognize all of your body moves in real time just like Natal. Its unknown whether Nintendo has the facial recognition software ready or not or just how in depth the current camera software is when compared to Natal. But I'm sure with a little sweat and blood Nintendo could create the facial recognition software really quickly.

So who's Natal will win if Nintendo pits its camera against Microsoft's?

Also poor Sony will be stuck ripping off Nintendo and Microsoft again. They will barely have their new motion controller out and if they want to continue competing ripping off Microsoft/Nintendo's camera recognition software will be necessary. Actually I bet you anything Sony scraps the wand and just moves straight onto recognition software for that new camera they showed off (Used for their new wand)

So what do you think, does Nintendo have a Natal in its back pocket too, was UbiSoft really not joking about having Natal like functionality on the show floor today? With dev kits and Nintendo/UbiSoft hard at work on new camera utalizing software could Nintendo actually best Natal by next E3?

It's a classical fight, who will win?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

Yeah, it's not like Sony has ever thought of a motion-controlled camera peripheral. They're always ripping off others. Darn you Sony!

I dont really want a Natal on the Wii as i was not even interested in the eye toy to begin with. Montana your comments are dull and annoying =_= No offense...

Can classical really be used in that context? Interesting read didn't know Nintendo had something similar as well.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

MontanaHatchet said:
Yeah, it's not like Sony has ever thought of a motion-controlled camera peripheral. They're always ripping off others. Darn you Sony!

Yeah even the mere thought of them coming up with a camera that senses motion is hillarious

@op

oh yeah..

The buttom one... guess what, it has facial recognition, voice recognition and headtracking..

Oh and.. It was released in 2006..

The one on top ? well guess what it reads.. ps2. That's right. It also has motion sensing and it was released last gen

I would request some soup to go with your crow. As it seems you've just massivly pwnd yourself with your fail.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

Ubisoft's camera is the first to have a fitness game, and it's the cheapest. Ubisoft wins. If they're really in bed with Nintendo with this camera, and it starts getting other games before Natal's even out, that could be pretty nuts, and a huge advantage. Maybe Nintendo will make their own camera bundled with their own game, but be nice enough to use the same tech so that Ubisoft's Wii games are compatible with the Ninten-cam and Nintendo's games are compatible with the Ubi-cam. No matter what happens, as of today Nintendo is the king of motion control software, so they're not going to take this lightly.

If Natal's tech is really more advanced than the Ubicam, it would still need to translate into better games. Fighting fitness games is pretty hard, and EA and Majesco have both given up and made fitness games to join the winning team. And if Nintendo makes camera games, they'll be fighting Nintendo on their home turf.

Seriously, this is exactly what I wanted this console war to become. Everybody should be fighting over better new ways to play games, instead of new games with the same old gameplay.

eyetoy was a flop and the game sucked. Why do you give it as an example? You're making Sony look bad :o

You guys are actually fighting over who used motion control first? Are you serious? I thought everyone hated those motion-controlled casual games and motion control was just a way to make games less hardcore?

I will never understand that...

The major difference between Project Natal and the Nintendo and Sony camera recognition systems is that Microsoft chose to hype it up a lot; Nintendo and Sony didn't feel it was necessary to hype it up THAT much.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

eye-toy was a disaster, why do you even mention it every time?

does Ubisoft and Nintendo work together for the Wii camera?

whether is yes or no, the game will have huge success, as it even comes out before Natal and Wii is the one for fitness games

if Nintendo works with Ubisoft for the camera, the camera thing has more future and may be used for Nintendo games, so it will have a brighter future

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^